Notices

Swivel pin replacement...

Old 01-23-2014, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Where did you get the adjustable drive stand from? I have a non adjustable and I'm getting tired of muscling the drive up to the level I need to install it.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FBRONCO
Where did you get the adjustable drive stand from? I have a non adjustable and I'm getting tired of muscling the drive up to the level I need to install it.
I built the drive stand that you see here...$225.00 plus shipping.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by FBRONCO
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...ck-review.html
Old 01-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I ran across this looking at your utube links. Funniest boat launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aoSRH9Ddhs
Old 02-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

I'll be doing this project in the coming weeks on my 1990 29 Fountain twin. My engs are already out so I won't be doing any cutting/drilling.
On the upper swivel shaft there's 2 bushing correct? The JR video shows the removal of the lower one where he drives it up from the bottom then has to collapse it so it can be removed since the cut-out in the transom was a little small and the steering arm wouldn't move up any more.. How is the upper bushing removed? That part wasn't covered in the video.
Also, in your youtube slideshow, there's a large while doughnut looking thing. What was that?

How did your gimble rings look where the square part of the swivel pin engages them? Mine have slop and that's why I'm diving in.. Didn't notice a problem until I hit abt 77 mph for the first time. The slop caused a serious control issue above that speed (no ext steering on mine yet).

Thx for any input!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top bearing

I ended up following the video and then noticed I had a new bearing that I had not installed. So I didn't install it. I did end up buying a new stainless pin because the steel one was worn and didn't make sense to me to have a steel one? I hear u need to pull it with a puller.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by zz28zz
I'll be doing this project in the coming weeks on my 1990 29 Fountain twin. My engs are already out so I won't be doing any cutting/drilling.
On the upper swivel shaft there's 2 bushing correct? This is correct...a small one on top and a larger one on the bottom. A word of advice...get the Mercruiser install tool or borrow one as it is a pain to try to get the bushings in place, especially the upper bushing. Getting the upper bushing out is another pain in the butt, but if you have a small punch, get it started between the bushing and the wall but dont booger up the side wall. Make sure the split in the bushing is either in the 3 or 9 oclock position ONLY.

The JR video shows the removal of the lower one where he drives it up from the bottom then has to collapse it so it can be removed since the cut-out in the transom was a little small and the steering arm wouldn't move up any more.. How is the upper bushing removed? That part wasn't covered in the video. The upper bushing is like I said...tough but once you get the side wall colapsed, youo can reach up to it with a good pair of needle nose pliers and twist and pull and it will come out.
Also, in your youtube slideshow, there's a large while doughnut looking thing. What was that? Hmmmmmmmmmm...I have no idea...gotta go have a look and see. I will get back to you on that.

How did your gimble rings look where the square part of the swivel pin engages them? Mine have slop and that's why I'm diving in.. Didn't notice a problem until I hit abt 77 mph for the first time. The slop caused a serious control issue above that speed (no ext steering on mine yet). My gimbals were fine...no excessive wear at all and when I went back together with them, they are now solid with no play in the steering. I tightend up my U-bolts to 50 pounds feet.

Thx for any input!
I dont know the correct name for the Mercruiser tool to install the bushings with. It will install both bushings and the seal all at the same time. I borrowed the tool from a friend and installing the bushings and seal was a piece of cake. I did each bushing separately on the other drive and it was a pain in the butt. I actually screwed up the upper bushing and had to go get another one. Thats when my friend gave me his tool and told me to put the bushings on it and the seal.

I did the cutout and had plenty of room with no issues. The only thing I did different than what Ron Bender said was in install studs for the cover plate instead of the screws. I just dont like threading the aluminum and then installing a bolt into it...too easy to strip out the threads. I had no issues with the studs and got everything nice and tight.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ldillow
I ended up following the video and then noticed I had a new bearing that I had not installed. So I didn't install it. I did end up buying a new stainless pin because the steel one was worn and didn't make sense to me to have a steel one? I hear u need to pull it with a puller.
As bad as my pins were, as soon as I was able to spread the jaws of the tiller arm alittle...my pins just fell out. I did not need a puller at all.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by zz28zz
On the upper swivel shaft there's 2 bushing correct? The JR video shows the removal of the lower one where he drives it up from the bottom then has to collapse it so it can be removed since the cut-out in the transom was a little small and the steering arm wouldn't move up any more.. How is the upper bushing removed? That part wasn't covered in the video.
Also, in your youtube slideshow, there's a large while doughnut looking thing. What was that?

How did your gimble rings look where the square part of the swivel pin engages them? Mine have slop and that's why I'm diving in.. Didn't notice a problem until I hit abt 77 mph for the first time. The slop caused a serious control issue above that speed (no ext steering on mine yet).

Thx for any input!
I went and had a look at the donut thing you mentioned and that must be the gimbal bearing in the housing. The other white stuff is white silicone around where the hoses go thru the transum. I cleaned excess grease off the gimbal bearings so that might make it look white. If this isnt it, get a "timer" mark where you see it and I will have another look.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The puller mentioned was for the upper bearing. You need to get something up through it and grab the edges to pull it down and out. Don't know for sure since I did not replace mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.