Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Some aftermarket parts really come short on quality, so be careful. >

Some aftermarket parts really come short on quality, so be careful.

Notices

Some aftermarket parts really come short on quality, so be careful.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:35 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FIXX
bwd,,lightening makes their headers..
Really? Interesting
Old 02-26-2014, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

This SS pump housing is awesome and only cost around $169.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:58 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Just run a dry sump oil system and the valve covers don't leak a drop ..........just saying
Old 02-27-2014, 04:14 AM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
This SS pump housing is awesome and only cost around $169.

I had a couple of those in the old boat. No issues, however if you suck up sand they jet scored and are never the same. same with bronze.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:23 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by motor
I've done business with Hardin for a few years .I like their extreme offshore oil pans .Who else uses what other big pans .I know there are other bigger buck pans ...But what others in their price range. I'm not telling ,,,i'm asking. I'm old enough to know I don't know all.
Motor, The pans from Hardin is where we ran into trouble. It took 3 tries to get 2 pans that were the same, all had some type of flaw even the set we ended up installing. 1 pan cracked 2 times in 2 seasons so we replaced them both with Stef's pans. Now to be fair I received 2 custom dry sump Stef's pans yesterday that are far from plug and play but the quality is still there.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess i've been lucky ..I'm not saying the ones i've used were perfect,but none have cracked to date.(that i'm aware of) I do remember having had trouble with their pickups not being the correct fit into pumps .OD of tube a little to big and the brace not matching correctly to holes in pump .But my experience with ANY aftermarket stuff is almost none of it is perfect.Same with high dollar stuff i buy for my motorcycles .a little massage is commonly needed...But still easier than me trying to make whatever part ,from scratch.I'm trying to understand when you say you had so much trouble getting two pans the same?
Originally Posted by brian41
Motor, The pans from Hardin is where we ran into trouble. It took 3 tries to get 2 pans that were the same, all had some type of flaw even the set we ended up installing. 1 pan cracked 2 times in 2 seasons so we replaced them both with Stef's pans. Now to be fair I received 2 custom dry sump Stef's pans yesterday that are far from plug and play but the quality is still there.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by motor
I guess i've been lucky ..I'm not saying the ones i've used were perfect,but none have cracked to date.(that i'm aware of) I do remember having had trouble with their pickups not being the correct fit into pumps .OD of tube a little to big and the brace not matching correctly to holes in pump .But my experience with ANY aftermarket stuff is almost none of it is perfect.Same with high dollar stuff i buy for my motorcycles .a little massage is commonly needed...But still easier than me trying to make whatever part ,from scratch.I'm trying to understand when you say you had so much trouble getting two pans the same?

They were all 14 quart BB pans but we got 2 pans that looked they were built by 2 different venders. The first time I sent them back and got the same thing in return so the next time I kept 2 and ordered 2 more ending up with 3 that match so I returned the mismatched set. The cracking was due to oil canning in the bottom of the pan.

Here are pics of the custom Stef's dry sump pans we got yesterday........ tank tuff.
Attached Thumbnails Some aftermarket parts really come short on quality, so be careful.-dsc02049.jpg   Some aftermarket parts really come short on quality, so be careful.-dsc02050.jpg  
Old 02-27-2014, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the bottom line Is we do our best and in some case it would seem we weren't able to make a customers installation go correctly. Its apparent that we couldn't say or do the right thing to make the original poster happy and all I can say is we're sorry but he has heard that before. We build the best products we possibly can. We do the very best to stand behind them.

Most Mfg's just won't engage on these forums because of the massacre but hey I'm here to take the punches for an imperfect situation. There is no excuse for a product that doesn't perform. And I never want to make or sell one that doesn't. But you see there's a problem when you build hundreds of a product and only a select couple have challenges with it. Your uncertain if the product was bad? or if there was a installation error because the install wasn't done by a professional shop it was done by a end user. Because the consumer wouldn't send the product back to us for review? I can only speculate.

So hey we will take the high road and again just say we wanted to make the situation right we really did I'm just not sure EXACTLY what even happened. I'm not saying the part wasn't bad but I am saying if your going to slam the manufacture at least give them the opportunity to get their product back review it and replace it. Let us at least try to get the product you want and deserve into your hands or all of your money back.

In all of these few posts I read one common thing. If there was a issue for the customer and we tried to find a resolution. No we weren't there upside down in the bilge but we never walked away and left the customer high and dry. When the customer wasn't pleased we offered a full refund but that still was not enough. At some point we feel we don't have the answers to these situations.

We proudly machine, fabricate and assemble thousands of products in our two USA manufacturing facilities in FL and Ohio. Yes we buy and sell products that are from over seas. If you look at every new cleat in any new boat made in the USA that hardware was imported. We build virtually thousands of products for so many manufactures that you have no idea that many of the products on your boats engine came from us whether you thought it was all OEM or not.

As for Stainless Marine and Latham both GREAT companies yes they traveled 25 miles to the show. And I'm glad because it also shows they committed and are part of a dieing breed. The cost to attend these events is staggering and has run most of the rest of the parts industry away. No were not looking for a pat on the back I'm merely trying to point out that if you don't want our staff there showing its wares just let us know. We value what the community thinks and if having engineers an staff and bringing that stuff to the shows has no value we need to know from you because were really doing it for you. Its marketing 101 and we can stay home and run more banner Ad's on OSO. We will still be here whether we make it to a single show or not I don't say that cocky I say that committed and there's a difference..

Were committed to the industry and all of you as well as bringing you products to you to touch and feel. This way you can actually see , touch, and analyze a product up close and personal. This is a lost art that only those that are most committed still do. We believe we go further to reach you, assist you, and more importantly reduce the cost of products so that you can enjoy boating for less money and longer.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by brian41
They were all 14 quart BB pans but we got 2 pans that looked they were built by 2 different venders. The first time I sent them back and got the same thing in return so the next time I kept 2 and ordered 2 more ending up with 3 that match so I returned the mismatched set. The cracking was due to oil canning in the bottom of the pan.

Here are pics of the custom Stef's dry sump pans we got yesterday........ tank tuff.
Stef's makes beautiful stuff dry sump pans
Old 02-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
bwd,,lightening makes their headers..
Yes they have in the past our headers are all built in our own Ohio facility today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.