Notices

Rewiring Boat

Old 04-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fixx - What other jaws are available for the Ancor? Any links?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotta keep in mind your good quality crimpers aren't a 1tool crimps all. There are crimpers for your cheap PVC automotive terminals, crimpers for the heat shrink terminals, non insulated terminals, battery sized cables......

I use a large Greenlee crimper for my battery cables that produce the hex crimp, ( 10awg and larger)and 2 different Ancor brand crimpers for wire terminals, depending on whether they have the heat shrink covering or vinyl insulated terminals. All are ratchet crimpers. They don't release until the crimp is made in full. For those that use the universal crimper, pliers or the hammer/anvil method, you'd really be surprised at the difference of a crimp attained by a tool made just for such. But it comes with a price. The ratchet crimpers start around $60 I believe. This is an newly crimped terminal I cut for a looky see when I rewired my cruiser. (The pics show how tight the crimp is making the wires appear as 1, with no voids between the strands. 2nd pic is just a quick pass with some 1200 grit paper) The wires behind the main circuit panel were originaly all just done with the universal crimpers and PVC terminals. There were several wires that just pull out of the terminal with a slight tug. Voltage loss and resistance, electrical demons= warm wires! Ended up redoing every connection properly.
Attached Thumbnails Rewiring Boat-image.jpg   Rewiring Boat-image.jpg  

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 04-08-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
Fixx - What other jaws are available for the Ancor? Any links?
it has 5 separate dies you can change..i got mine from snapon but amazon has it cheaper..i also got the msd ignition wire dies and the octagon ones..http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F25N05CF36SM4C
Old 04-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Gotta keep in mind your good quality crimpers aren't a 1tool crimps all. There are crimpers for your cheap PVC automotive terminals, crimpers for the heat shrink terminals, non insulated terminals, battery sized cables......

I use a large Greenlee crimper for my battery cables that produce the hex crimp, ( 10awg and larger)and 2 different Ancor brand crimpers for wire terminals, depending on whether they have the heat shrink covering or vinyl insulated terminals. All are ratchet crimpers. They don't release until the crimp is made in full. For those that use the universal crimper, pliers or the hammer/anvil method, you'd really be surprised at the difference of a crimp attained by a tool made just for such. But it comes with a price. The ratchet crimpers start around $60 I believe. This is an newly crimped terminal I cut for a looky see when I rewired my cruiser. (The pics show how tight the crimp is making the wires appear as 1, with no voids between the strands. 2nd pic is just a quick pass with some 1200 grit paper) The wires behind the main circuit panel were originaly all just done with the universal crimpers and PVC terminals. There were several wires that just pull out of the terminal with a slight tug. Voltage loss and resistance, electrical demons= warm wires! Ended up redoing every connection properly.
i agree,,all three will make the copper tight,,i like the one on the right,,its hydraulic and wont let go until the crimp is done,,i can also adjust the release pressure..it also has a 360* swivel end so i can crimp in any position..
Old 04-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have specified- what crimper for instrument wiring? Say10-22awg.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Use this one (style) for the more popular terminals with the colored insulated terminals.Not used for the terminals that have the heat shrink covering. You will cut thru the heat shrink using this tool

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...0010&id=336039

Use this one for the heat shrink insulated terminals. The jaws are ground smooth so as not to cut the covering, which is the whole reasoning for using heat shrink in the 1st place. This one is a SeaDog brand. Not sure how it compares to Ancor (other than price). Didn't see this tool in Ancor from Defenders

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...010&id=2187342

These are both rachet type crimpers. one nice feature is that you can insert the terminal and close the tool on it 1 click to hold it while you hold the wire with your other hand. Sometimes that makes it ease to install on the wire when working in tight quarters and with short wire leads.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 04-11-2014 at 08:12 PM.