another day another rookie questions >

another day another rookie questions

Notices

another day another rookie questions

Old 04-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default another day another rookie questions

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521271[/ATTACH]I pulled the engine drive and transom assembly off my 96 wellcraft to upgrade my engine and paint my drive.
While empty I started to sand off the rustoleum that the idiot previous owner rolled on over the anti-foul and discovered a ridge around where the perimeter of the transom ring. Its most prominent on the bottom of the opening and appears that the transom itself has compressed slightly there. Amazingly the transom is bone dry and solid and the ridge disappears as it progresses upwards. Only a couple the bolt holes show signs of exposure to moisture and even then I scraped less than a hair of dust to get to solid wood again.
Yes the hole bottom right hole looks like rot but it was drilled so close to the opening that it 'tore" when I was wiggling the transom out

Is it possible that due to torque the wood on lower part of the opening can compress slightly?

thanks as always
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521270[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails another day another rookie questions-transom.jpg   another day another rookie questions-unnamed.jpg  

Last edited by stimleck; 04-01-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Tap that area with a small hammer. Start at top and listen to a "solid" sound, then move around the opening and see if it gets a "hollow" sound. Even though the wood is dry, it may not be solid as it looks. If it checks out ok, then its all probably ok.
Drives will "move" around as the hull flexes and loads are applied to it and such, and being the leverage is at the bottom, it tends to wear and compress more at the bottom. If the transom is solid, you got no worries mate!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521271[/ATTACH]

Is it possible that due to torque the wood on lower part of the opening can compress slightly?

thanks as always
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521270[/ATTACH]
yes, if you mean engine torque. the prop pushes the outdrive forward. the outdrive pushes the boat forward, at the bottom of the drive since the prop is below the bottom of the boat. pulls back on the top of the drive. look inside up top and you will probably see similar compression ridge from inner shield.