higer oil temp after rebuild, bypass?? >

higer oil temp after rebuild, bypass??

Notices

higer oil temp after rebuild, bypass??

Old 07-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgie
And how old is the 500efi now?.... Just saying old design, old thinking. They now use a 210 and I really doubt it has anything to do with tight tolerances etc. I've said it many times, oil has an optimal operating temperature ie 100 degrees Celsius. Doesn't matter if it's fancy synthetic or conventional. Even if you don't get milkshake you still form acids from the moisture present and left over by cold oil temps. Cold oil doesn't lubricate better to a point.

I find folks here like to use the old analogy "well it worked for me". Gee that's real scientific and factual... I guess if that is good enough, so be it, however there is science behind the theory of running oil at 212 degrees. Just because "some" big engine builders don't use oil t stats or recommend ones that keep oils temps down in the dumps (with zero supporting/validating data) doesn't mean squat to me. Some of these same builders thought synthetic oil would make lifter followers "slide" on cam lobes..... That one made me laugh first time I saw it.

If cold oil temps work so well for everyone, show some examples of case where warmer 210-215 degree stats damaged an engine. There is plenty of data showing optimal oil temp (212) actually adds to the longevity of an engine, marine or otherwise.
Changed what? The 500 efi uses the same element as the 525efi, 700sci, and new 565.

You can sit here and argue your theories with me all day long. How many mercury racing engines are out there doing poker runs every weekend, racing on the course, and overall pleasure boaters beating the snot out of them. Compare that to how many borgie engines or mild thunder engines are out there. One thing about mercs engines , they may not be the most powerful , they may not be the best components, and may be overpriced , but one thing they are NOT, is time bombs exploding all the time.

There's more to the story than the simple temp of the oil from a flow/lubricating standpoint. Keeping the valvesprings cooler, pistons cooler, rocker arm bearings, lifter wheel bearings, and other things cooler, might be more beneficial than the viscosity/lubricating deal. Mercury marine has ALOT of money behind them, and a lot of money on the table when it comes to testing, designing , and warranting these engines. Especially the racing engines .

But to get back on topic, 4bus' s buddy who's seeing 230 temps, is outside the manufacturers oil temp specs by quite a margin, which would indicate something isn't functioning as it was designed. 230 temps after the cooler would alarm me also.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Borgie
Mercury is using a higher set point for T stats in the news engines as far as I know. Must be a reason...
where did you get that info? You can go online and compare the oil thermostat part number for every engine they made with an oil thermostat. From the HP500 all the way up.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:01 AM
Registered

FYI the new 1350 also uses the same thermostat element as the 500efi. The 1075sci uses the same element as the hp500, 600sc, 800sc engines from 15 plus years ago. They share a similar housing mounted on the back of the cylinder head hence the different part number the 500efi,700sci, 525efi, 1350, etc. Those use the block mounted deal with internal stat.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:36 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mild, if u get a cut bad enough that it requires stitches soak a rag in lacquer thinner then wrap it this will get U2 the hospital without bleeding all over the car. For minor cuts (even major) the best thing is super glue, has to be the original. Nice dab of super glue and its back to work. These are the techniques that men use and not for the faint of heart...
Old 07-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Remember, they measure temp after the oil cooler...not at the pan or before the cooler.
Good info, I didn't realize that. You have to compare apples to apples. If they are recommending 170-180 after the cooler, that is similar to recommending 220-230 before the cooler.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

When my 525 oil temp gauges hit 210 the stat opens and it drops to 190. So it runs anywhere between the two usually closer to 190.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.