Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Where to buy 2006 496 HO water pump rebuild kit??? >

Where to buy 2006 496 HO water pump rebuild kit???

Notices

Where to buy 2006 496 HO water pump rebuild kit???

Old 06-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right about that kit BUP. I hadn't noticed it didn't have a spacer for the rear plate to make up for adding the front plate. I bought kits some years back from a machine shop in Texas(forgot the name) that were 3 pieces. Put them in and forgot about them. Just changed the impellors this spring after 5 or 6 years, lol. Still in good shape.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
You are right about that kit BUP. I hadn't noticed it didn't have a spacer for the rear plate to make up for adding the front plate. I bought kits some years back from a machine shop in Texas(forgot the name) that were 3 pieces. Put them in and forgot about them. Just changed the impellors this spring after 5 or 6 years, lol. Still in good shape.
Did the kit you bought have a spacer? Looking at the JC Marine kit for a friend's boat and was thinking the same thing about the tolerances.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:43 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If you still drop in the small round front wear plate it is taking up space inside the impeller housing so how can the exact same sized impeller work that is used when the round drop in wear plate is not used ??? Standard impeller for standard OEM impeller housing.

Impellers and impeller housing are all About proper tolerances to prime and flow the correct amount volumes of water.

It would be like using .30 over pistons in a stock cylinder bores something not going to work correctly.

Lets just say the .30 over pistons are made out of rubber going into standard metal bores- .Sure I can squeeze the hell out of the rubber pistons to go into the metal bores but that does nt mean the tolerances are correct like they were engineered and designed for..

The back side heart shape wear plate is not the problem - it does not take up any space within the impeller housing.

Last edited by BUP; 06-15-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Did the kit you bought have a spacer? Looking at the JC Marine kit for a friend's boat and was thinking the same thing about the tolerances.
The JC kit has a gasket that makes up the difference for the doughnut spacer.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
If you still drop in the small round front wear plate it is taking up space inside the impeller housing so how can the exact same sized impeller work that is used when the round drop in wear plate is not used ??? Standard impeller for standard OEM impeller housing.

Impellers and impeller housing are all About proper tolerances to prime and flow the correct amount volumes of water.

It would be like using .30 over pistons in a stock cylinder bores something not going to work correctly.

Lets just say the .30 over pistons are made out of rubber going into standard metal bores- .Sure I can squeeze the hell out of the rubber pistons to go into the metal bores but that does nt mean the tolerances are correct like they were engineered and designed for..

The back side heart shape wear plate is not the problem - it does not take up any space within the impeller housing.
Yeah, what vindicator said. One stainless plate under the impeller, then one shim and 2 gaskets for the cover.

I have used them several times and they ran forever. Only thing you need to do is make one of the mounting holes oblong to make up for the difference of the shim in the cover.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Yeah, what vindicator said. One stainless plate under the impeller, then one shim and 2 gaskets for the cover.

I have used them several times and they ran forever. Only thing you need to do is make one of the mounting holes oblong to make up for the difference of the shim in the cover.
I just put the kit in mine and didn't even have to do anything to the mounting hole. I had the bracket off ready to drill it out but ended up going right back together without any problem. The only trouble I had was I needed to lift up on the mounting/pulley bracket to take the slop out when I went to tighten it back up on the engine because I couldn't get the belt tension tight enough other wise.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:11 PM
BUP
Banned

So the gasket is the same thickness as the drop in round wear plate ? Also how well does that seal as you have an O ring gasket that is the seal but now you are adding a gasket on top of the oring seal, That really is not the greatest way to seal the 2 sections of the housing together.

Also the further you space the aft section of the impeller housing back - the one mounting bolt on the side of the housing will be off centered ? they must want you to ream the hole out a tad bit to be able to get the that bolt centered to screw in correctly.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Registered

Basically, without putting a mic on it, I would say yes the gasket is roughly the same thickness as the wear plate. It seals well enough not to leak. Now how long it lasts without leaking I wouldn't know, maybe Keith can answer that one since he's had more long term experience. Not sure what I'm going to do the next time I change the impeller though. I may have to make my own gaskets. Can't imagine having to buy a whole kit just for the gaskets.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:37 PM
BUP
Banned

Thanks for your time and replies. As you and anyone including myself it goes totally against for anything to seal properly on a engine to double up gaskets especially when 2 gaskets are totally different.

One is an o ring gasket and the other is a flat all the way across gasket. There is no part on any engine that I know of were you put 2 totally different gaskets of materials, size, shapes and compounds completely together to seal properly from the OEM's.

I went to JC marine website they must have changed some things from the past. I do not remember that they had an inner gasket and that other plate that does not come in the Kit.

http://www.jcmarinellc.com/water_pump_kit.htm

Last edited by BUP; 06-15-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by vindicator101
Basically, without putting a mic on it, I would say yes the gasket is roughly the same thickness as the wear plate. It seals well enough not to leak. Now how long it lasts without leaking I wouldn't know, maybe Keith can answer that one since he's had more long term experience. Not sure what I'm going to do the next time I change the impeller though. I may have to make my own gaskets. Can't imagine having to buy a whole kit just for the gaskets.
Knock on wood, put them in 2 boats. One boat is sold long gone and this set has been in my boat 3 years with no impeller changes and about 160 hours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.