Like Tree1Likes

350 mag mpi upgrades?

Reply
Old 08-20-2017, 07:21 AM
  #11
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Statesville, NC
My Boats: 2004 Donzi 28 ZXO
Posts: 318
Default

I was looking to upgrade the exhaust this winter on mine. What are people using and any pros/cons?
JRalston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:35 PM
  #12
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRalston View Post
I was looking to upgrade the exhaust this winter on mine. What are people using and any pros/cons?
Don't waste your money on aftermarket exhaust on a SBC marine motor unless you wind it north of 6000 rpm. You will see no gains with the exception of a lighter wallet.
Trash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:42 PM
  #13
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lake Winnipesaukee, NH
My Boats: 87 Formula F 223LS, 383 Stroker
Posts: 209
Default

Donzi ZX is probably big block. Maybe sbc if twin engine.
JRalston, you are best off doing a plan that does the engine and exhaust at the same time. Upgrading from OE exhaust is necessary if you improve the engine, but does nothing except look pretty if the engine stays as it was.
That said, many upgrades require better exhaust.
What is your power?
NHGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:56 PM
  #14
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: westville, NJ
My Boats: 1967 34 Hatteras summer house. 2000 Crownline 248ccr her boat. 79 Pantera 24 Sport.
Posts: 3,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash View Post
Don't waste your money on aftermarket exhaust on a SBC marine motor unless you wind it north of 6000 rpm. You will see no gains with the exception of a lighter wallet.
one slight advantage: You are beached on the sand bar and this cutie is bent over the side of your boat thinking "I want a ride in this!" And you are standing behind her thinking exactly the same thing... in reality the one upgrade to consider is aluminum oem exhausts. Between them and alum intakes you are taking a couple hundred pounds out of the stern. Unfortunately, the previously mentioned cutie will think "Stock exhausts? Loser!!"

Last edited by dereknkathy; 08-20-2017 at 05:00 PM.
dereknkathy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:57 AM
  #15
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Statesville, NC
My Boats: 2004 Donzi 28 ZXO
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHGuy View Post
Donzi ZX is probably big block. Maybe sbc if twin engine.
JRalston, you are best off doing a plan that does the engine and exhaust at the same time. Upgrading from OE exhaust is necessary if you improve the engine, but does nothing except look pretty if the engine stays as it was.
That said, many upgrades require better exhaust.
What is your power?
twin 350 MPI's. was looking for exhaust this winter and prochargers next off season.
JRalston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:59 AM
  #16
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Statesville, NC
My Boats: 2004 Donzi 28 ZXO
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereknkathy View Post
one slight advantage: You are beached on the sand bar and this cutie is bent over the side of your boat thinking "I want a ride in this!" And you are standing behind her thinking exactly the same thing... in reality the one upgrade to consider is aluminum oem exhausts. Between them and alum intakes you are taking a couple hundred pounds out of the stern. Unfortunately, the previously mentioned cutie will think "Stock exhausts? Loser!!"
That is worth the money right there!!
JRalston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:19 PM
  #17
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: westville, NJ
My Boats: 1967 34 Hatteras summer house. 2000 Crownline 248ccr her boat. 79 Pantera 24 Sport.
Posts: 3,847
Default

So how much power per engine are you thinking of in the long run? And what cond are your existing exhaust in? Because this is something that can be found used with some patience...
dereknkathy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:54 PM
  #18
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (2)
 
COOPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MCHENRY IL
My Boats: 2004 Formula 292
Posts: 687
Default

LS3's and new manifolds to now fit the new engines...done.

Sell your existing mpi motors to all the cruisers looking to upgrade or replace.
COOPS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:29 PM
  #19
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lake Winnipesaukee, NH
My Boats: 87 Formula F 223LS, 383 Stroker
Posts: 209
Default

Blowers or 454's...simple and quick. LS's will be best but will hit you for more money.
NHGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:57 PM
  #20
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: westville, NJ
My Boats: 1967 34 Hatteras summer house. 2000 Crownline 248ccr her boat. 79 Pantera 24 Sport.
Posts: 3,847
Default

Odds are the boat is built with engines too close together to install big blocks.
dereknkathy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.