Notices

Nitrous on 454 mpi mag

Old 01-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous on 454 mpi mag

Has anyone had real experience with running a wet kit of only 100hp? Thoughts are prop the boat for 5000rpm, but up the rev limiter 5500-5600. The extra rpms should gain 5-6 mph. Looking for input from knowledgeable guys who are familiar with Nitrous.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm familiar with nitrous. Don't see its effectiveness on a boat. The bottle doesn't last that long anyhow. Blowers and turbos are much better because you don't need to refill them. Every time you hit the button you lose pressure losing power. After about 3 passes down the track it was obvious pressure loss and even the bottle heater didn't make it back up.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
I'm familiar with nitrous. Don't see its effectiveness on a boat. The bottle doesn't last that long anyhow. Blowers and turbos are much better because you don't need to refill them. Every time you hit the button you lose pressure losing power. After about 3 passes down the track it was obvious pressure loss and even the bottle heater didn't make it back up.
I agree, but I'm very limited for space in front of the engine. I should probably just build a mild 540cid and leave mine alone
Old 01-03-2017, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Build a nice stout reliable motor and go enjoy it. Lol
Old 01-17-2017, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Nanonitrous.com fixed the pressure problem.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 87 Posts

Had a buddy several years ago ran a small nitrous on his pleasure boat. You're about right on calculations, he would pull about 5-6 mph on the button.
However, he called it "motor cocaine", because once he got used to it, he pushed the button a LOT. It was never wide open that he didn't hit the button and feel the surge. Motor wasn't a Nitrous motor (stocker- no floating wristpins, etc.) so it wasn't with us long.

After the 12-step program, he was finally free of demon nitrous. He then built a better motor that got him the speed he wanted and did NOT do nitrous again, and lived happily ever after.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the pressure issue could be resolved by running twin bottles in a "Y" and using bottle heaters. That's what I always ran on my street cars. Although, with the bottles in the engine compartment on a hot summer day, I doubt you will need the heaters much. I will say I have never been a fan of wet kits on EFI motors where you are spraying the nitrous and fuel in before the throttle body. I have seen bad things happen when fuel puddles in the intake, BIG BOOM!! On all my EFI mustangs, if I was running a shot of 150 or less, I ran a dry set up that had a solenoid that went to the Fuel Pressure Regulator and closed it when the system was engaged. This ramped up the fuel pressure so you got the extra fuel you need through the injectors. I'm not sure if this would work on the Merc EFI, but it might be worth looking into. Anything over a 150 shot, and I went ahead and plumbed a direct port fogger set up with a separate fuel system.

I think a nitrous set up on a boat would be pretty cool, and have thought about it myself many times. The only downfall to me is like other have said, the bottle runs out. In all my street cars it wasn't an issue because I had a filling station in my garage, or if I was out and about, I knew multiple places around the city that I could get a refill. That's not the case on the lake. So you would have to bring multiple bottles with you every weekend, because like it was previously stated, its VERY addicting!!!! It was nothing for me to go through 2 bottles a weekend just cruising around the streets in the summer. That's why the license plate on my car was "N2OJNKY" (nitrous junky). LOL

Last edited by corey331; 01-19-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:24 AM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Only hardcore racers use nitrous oxide systems!
Old 11-04-2017, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

One thing not addressed is CG approval for those that care and fire hazard.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,008 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolerman
Only hardcore racers use nitrous oxide systems!
With meth injection.............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.