Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
1990 Sleekcraft Enforcer 454 merc; did I seize my motor by not running it for 1.5 yrs >

1990 Sleekcraft Enforcer 454 merc; did I seize my motor by not running it for 1.5 yrs

Notices

1990 Sleekcraft Enforcer 454 merc; did I seize my motor by not running it for 1.5 yrs

Old 05-08-2017, 11:13 PM
dna
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Sleekcraft Enforcer 454 merc; did I seize my motor by not running it for 1.5 yrs

I have a 90 Sleekcraft with a 454 merc 330hp Bravo drive. I live in Calgary where the winters are very cold. I had it winterized in the fall of 2015 but for various reasons never ran it last summer and only now went to try to restart it (so it has been about 1.5 years since last run). Prior to winterizing it was running fine.

Anyway, I put in 2 new batteries, turned on the hose, and gave it a try. All I get is one click (not click, click, click......).but the click sounds like the starter engaging. I checked over the main starter red and black wires for a solid connection, but that made no difference. To make things worse I didn't store it 100% perfect. I had it under a portable garage setup but not under tarps, and the engine compartment was open, so I'm sure some snow and rain did get onto the engine over the last 1.5 years. Could this have caused the engine to seize?

So after no luck, I got a breaker bar and used it to manually turn the engine at the main engine pulley. I first put a little pressure counter clockwise and it turned rather easy. I kept turning it counter clockwise a few more times and still was OK (didn't feel tight or 'seized'). I then tried it and still just the click. So then I thought to use the bar to turn it clockwise and man was it stiff. I could turn it clockwise but definately takes all my effort to turn an inch or two at a time. So, my question - what diredction does the engine turn (I think it is clockwise). If clockwise, did I mess up turning it counter clockwise? Also why would it be easy to turn counter clockwise but hard clockwise? Lastly,is the compression supposed to be that tough?

Oh. I then started thinking my starter solenoid could be the issue. I have a blue solenoid that has 'a', 'r', '+', and '-' and it has a 50amp breaker combined with the solenoid. I put a jumper on the solenoid, and then tried battery 1 (on my switch) - again go 1 click. I then tried battery 2 (on switch) and got click, click, click, click.... Any ideas .

Thanks
Old 05-09-2017, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can turn the engine with a wrench. It's not siezed. You might want to pull the plugs and spray some WD-40 into each one for you crank it around any more. You have a starter problem. Starter is a lot stronger than you are. If you can turn that all, the starter can turn it pretty easy. If the starter works. I'm not saying you need a new starter. But you might. Could be something with an electrical contact. Or the intermediate solenoid that fires the starter. That might be what you hear clicking, but it's not making contact to the starter.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had something very similar a number of years ago- but not with a boat - I had a pick-up that basically sits in the garage - went out to start - click, click, click -- Nothing to turn over the engine. The starter went bad - replaced the starter and all was well. I'm not a mechanic but what I would do is:
a) Check ALL of the connections -- letting something sit for a long period does crazy things to electronics - Heck I had a cruise control system that went bad - I never used it.
b) if the connections are good it maybe in your best interest to remove the starter - take to a parts store and have it tested - or if you are knowledgeable- do it yourself.

If you were able to turn over the engine manually - I would seriously doubt if anything is seized. Spraying a little WD40 in the cylinders was good advice.

it seems that you have a starter issue.

let us know what the outcome is and good luck

3pointstar
Old 05-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a connection, solenoid, starter issue. Not a seized motor issue. If you can turn it over by hand, you are good to go.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a connection, solenoid, starter issue. Not a seized motor issue. If you can turn it over by hand, you are good to go. Sounds like bad batteries to me.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a relay that sends power to the bendix on the starter. That will make a click noise but the starter never gets the signal to start.
I have to change mine this year.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:40 PM
dna
Registered

thanks for the replies. I feel better knowing it isn't seized.

I took a quick look and where the bolts for the starter are, and it will be a real chore to get the starter out. I will do it if needed, but before I do is there is sure fire way to confirm if the starter is good or bad? Or would you suggest to just remove it and test it out to rule that out?

Also, as I mentioned I've manually turned the engine both counter clockwise and clockwise, using a breaker bar on the main pulley. Could I have done damage by turning it the wrong rotation? Also, why is it easier to turn counter clockwise than clockwise? Lastly, I assume my engine does turn clockwise (from front) - is this correct?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2017, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the start relay FIRST. It is located by the fuel filter. ( at least it was on my 502's) Just jumper the two large terminals. They are usually covered in a coating but they are the two on the top.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:49 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Are you sure the new batteries have a full charge????? Check them with a volt meter. Then check the voltage at the starter.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:24 PM
dna
Registered

Thought I'd give an update. So after some more testing I confirmed the starter was likely the issue. So off it went - man was it hard to get the bolt off closest to the flywheel - it was so close that I couldn't get a socket or closed end of wrench on it - I tried the open end but it was so tight I couldn't budge it and afraid I would stripe it - so I got my socket and grinder and started to grind the 9/16 socket to make it a very thin wall socket - fit perfect after that and worked great.

So after getting starter off, I bench tested it and sure enough no spin - the solenoid worked to put the gear in and out but no spinny. Opened up the starter and it was very rusted. Obviously my poor tarping caused the starter to get submerged sometime over the last 1.5 years and it rusted from within. Tomorrow I'm going to try to rebuild the starter, otherwise off to the shop to get a new one.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.