Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
1990 Sleekcraft Enforcer 454 merc; did I seize my motor by not running it for 1.5 yrs >

1990 Sleekcraft Enforcer 454 merc; did I seize my motor by not running it for 1.5 yrs

Notices

1990 Sleekcraft Enforcer 454 merc; did I seize my motor by not running it for 1.5 yrs

Old 05-15-2017, 09:30 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You may also want to loosen/remove your belts - you could have an accessory that is locked up/tight.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:29 PM
dna
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thought I'd give an update.

so after a day or two of the oil in the plug holes I tried it again (without the plugs in) and still seemed same and slow. Thought I had nothing to lose so I put in the plugs, turned on the hose on the leg, pumped it 5 times with gas, and turned on the starter. After two turns, VROOM.

After a minute or so turned it off and refired up - started nice on first turn. Sounds nice when idling and revving, and put it into forward and reverse and prop is spinning just fine.

I guess the only issue was the rusted up starter. I think I got lucky and no water did get into engine. I'm just real surprised cause I really thought these should turn over fast like a car engine. I guess these big mercs have so much compression that they just normally turn over slow.

Anyways, now for some cleaning and polishing and off to the water this weekend for a test spin.

Oh, I'll be posting another thread probably cause 2 years ago (which is when I bought it and last run it) I was only able to get to 40 mph using a 19p prop. The boat is 26' (5000 lbs dry) and I was told by the owner it would do 60 mph (attached is a pic). I know it should go faster cause I can only get to around 3800rpm but these engines should go to 4500 if I remember right.

Last edited by dna; 05-15-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure the throttle plates inside the carb are opening all of the way. Check your timing, Make sure the choke is turning off.