Best way to do a water pressure relief valve >

Best way to do a water pressure relief valve

Notices

Best way to do a water pressure relief valve

Old 04-04-2018, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best way to do a water pressure relief valve

I have a standard Bravo 1 that I'm swapping the lower for a lower water pick up shorty. I've read it's wise to put a water pressure relief valve on your setup. Is the mercruiser kit the best option ?

Genuine Mercury & Mercruiser parts. 863208A3 VALVE KIT-RELIEF Genuine OEM Mercury Marine-Mercruiser part

I know CP has other relief valves but I think the standard water lines are bigger then 3/4
Water Pressure Relief Valve 3/4" NPT - CP Performance

If there is some other aftermarket way to do this I'm all ears.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Imco shorty? Not only is the water pressure sky high but every one I've seen had cavitation burn aft of the inlet. I installed a relief valve but ended up having the lower welded up and reconfiguring the inlet. It took some experimentation but I got my pressure where I like it and I took off the relief valve. This is with a closed cooling system which can handle more pressure.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:47 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Use one of these in the main water inlet hose https://teaguecustommarine.com/em001...elief-tee.html

CP has one listed for 1/2 NPT but not for the 3/4 NPT 1-1/4" Pressure Relief Valve Fitting For Inline Use, 1/2" NPT - CP Performance
Old 04-04-2018, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

First I would install a water pressure gauge . Then most likey you will need to install a water pressure relief valve to relieve the pressure .
Old 04-05-2018, 01:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much waterpressure (on smartcraft)is ok on an 600SCi and is it ok to make 1/2 or 3/4 valve in the seastrainer??
I try to run Standart XR lower with dualwaterpickup with my new engine! i get to much pressure there???
Michael
Old 04-05-2018, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a sportsmaster, I thought pretty much any boat with low water pick up needed one
Old 04-05-2018, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by farmo83

I have a standard Bravo 1 that I'm swapping the lower for a lower water pick up shorty. I've read it's wise to put a water pressure relief valve on your setup. Is the mercruiser kit the best option ?

Genuine Mercury & Mercruiser parts. 863208A3 VALVE KIT-RELIEF Genuine OEM Mercury Marine-Mercruiser part

I know CP has other relief valves but I think the standard water lines are bigger then 3/4
Water Pressure Relief Valve 3/4" NPT - CP Performance

If there is some other aftermarket way to do this I'm all ears.
I used the CP Performance relief valve and it managed my water pressure nicely in fresh water. My oil cooler had an available 3/4" water FPT to install the valve.