Notices

496 oil flow direction

Old 04-19-2018, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts
Default 496 oil flow direction

read many threads on oil flow in and out of the filter, and many threads on oil flow direction thru the cooler.
by all appearances mercury plumbed the oil and p/s flow with the water flow thru the coolers.

a cmi 496 relocation kit is going on, a new cooler is being added, and new lines have to be made.

the adapter on the block connects via a bolt head on a 3/4- 16 threaded cup, it effectively blocks off where
an oil filter would screw on. the oil exits the adapter from around the outside.

from there it goes to the remote filter head outside connection, thru the filter and
out of the remote filter head thru the center connection. (or, it should right ?)

from what i've read oil goes from outside to inside, and this where mercury ran the line to the rear connection of the stock cooler.
from the front connection on the cooler mercury ran the line to a fitting on the block (never seen this)
the block connection i left a 45 an hose end on it so it would be easy to see in the pics.

following the oil against the water flow thinking, i ran the line from the center connection on the remote filter head to the
front connection on the cooler. two 90 an hose ends are on the way for the last line that will go from the rear connection
on the cooler to the block (the 45's in the pics won't work because of clearance issues)

questions are,
the fitting on the block, does it return oil to the pan, or thru the block since it's coming from the cooler ?

all i did was swap front and rear oil line connections at the cooler, and the only other oil filter adapters i've see
bolted to the block and had 2 lines for in and out flow.

thanks

Last edited by outonsafari; 04-19-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 1,492 Likes on 807 Posts

Bup chime in here.... What year is this? I do recall reading some old threads with oil hoses leaking pre 08 and routing of was crucial but not what your asking for. What a difference than looking at an old mark lV. Ha.

i did see a diagram for a 496 HO online but did not like your routing.

Last edited by getrdunn; 04-19-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Just hook up a mechanical gauge the pressure will either be low or 20 psi. You will know in 2 seconds.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

I would not be using the ports on the side of the block,get an adapter that lets the oil go back into the center port of the oil filter pad.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Registered

getrdunn, 2004 496 serial owo60640, the original oil line from the adapter went straight up and ran
between the exhaust manifold and head (actually fastened to the stock manifold) and into the same
port on the adapter as it does now.
the old lines were fine, but w/ the new exhaust and relocation kit, the new oil cooler and lines are just
the next step in cleaning up the engine.

you should have seen this side of the engine before the clean up started, it looked like copy machine,
a 5 gallon bucket of wire, some dishwasher parts and an exhaust manifold fell off the back of pickup truck
onto the highway and got run over by 9 of the 18 wheels

sutphen, the original line from the cooler went into that port on the engine block, don't want to change that,
this is just a cleanup and double check on the flow direction, but i agree and would rather the adapter was
a 2 hose like normal ! do think that port is directly into the oil passages ?

i wouldn't know where to hook a mechanical gauge to if i had one, and w/out power and oil at the moment,
pressure and flow couldn't be checked.

Last edited by outonsafari; 04-20-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Is that the original oil cooler ? pretty small,
Old 04-20-2018, 04:09 PM
Registered

^^^ no, but it is the same size copper bundle as stock,
replaced it to get rid of extra plumbing and the water drain air pump parts.

i think it's going to be too small because there are now 2 coolers in line before it.
that's why there are 2 cooler hangers going on now, the water hose will go thru the first hanger,
then if/when this cooler falls short the engine is pre rigged for a longer cooler, just shorten the water hose.
fingers crossed !
Old 04-20-2018, 06:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
I would not be using the ports on the side of the block,get an adapter that lets the oil go back into the center port of the oil filter pad.
I was scratching my head at that but didn't want to say anything as some of this looks foreign to me. It's difficult when your not at this everyday like I use to. Things change and fast.

OT. i was curious about oil coolers as well however I'd imagine you've got or will have a grip on monitoring oil temps.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:08 PM
Registered

Seems like I've used that port on the side for oil priming hose although different blocks. You'll be fine just threw me off when I first looked at it.

At least your taking good measures with taking your time getting routed and secured good. I've seen some plumbing jobs that looked like they came right out of Compton.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by outonsafari
sutphen, the original line from the cooler went into that port on the engine block, don't want to change that,
this is just a cleanup and double check on the flow direction, but i agree and would rather the adapter was
a 2 hose like normal ! do think that port is directly into the oil passages ?

yes,that passage intersects the center /main passage in the oil filter pad,its not the best as the passage to the main is small.I'd fix it the right way and plumb into the center passage.then you can use that port for your gauge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.