Like Tree5Likes

Winterizing

Reply

Old 09-30-2018, 05:52 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ontario Canada
My Boat: '90 Fountain 10 meter 1979 Chris Craft Catalina
Posts: 154
Default Winterizing

What steps do you take to fully winterize your boat?
Pete35Fountain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:40 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kemah, Tx
My Boat: Fino 30
Posts: 196
Default

I put some hoodies on it and take the swimming Floats out
imartin and 92nsx like this.
sailtexas186548 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:01 AM
  #3
BUP
Registered
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ft. Worth TX
Posts: 9,030
Default

there will be a billion different opinions about how to winterize - but also in the mix is what engines and drive propulsion one has is just as important for the lay up. I do know this for a fact 1000 percent buying 2 dollar and 3 dollar RV pink anti freeze is NOT a proper way to winterize nor is going to offer any corrosion protection period. Actually they can induce corrosion because of the alcohol content they all contain,. Think about it for 2 or 3 dollars how much corrosion additives can be in that mix and be profitable for the store selling it.. Merc has done the study on alot of those cheaped priced pink anti freezes that many sell.
contain ethanol

Last edited by BUP; 10-01-2018 at 01:11 AM.
BUP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:03 AM
  #4
BUP
Registered
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ft. Worth TX
Posts: 9,030
Default

BUP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:07 AM
  #5
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KY
My Boat: 94 Formula 27PC, 95 232 Rinker 454
Posts: 2,185
Default

After changing lubes the cooling system gets drained. Use low pressure air for the boat fresh water system, suck water out of bilges, pour a little pink RV in drains. Remove drive and boat goes to bed
AllDodge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:02 AM
  #6
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Massachusetts
My Boat: 1988 Formula 272 Sr1 twin 320 EFI's previous was 88 242ss 7.4 bravo before that 85 f3-22LS 5.7
Posts: 306
Default

Originally Posted by Pete35Fountain View Post
What steps do you take to fully winterize your boat?
Add fuel to achieve almost full tank and add marine fuel stabilizer. warm motor up on muffs then flush with 4 to 5 gallons of -50 non toxic marine RV PINK antifreeze . Shut off. No draining needed. It also has corrosion inhibitor in it. This procedure is perfect for new England. It protects freeze up to -50 f. Grease all the fittings....
oconnor marine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:11 AM
  #7
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
phughes69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: St. Clair Shores, MI
My Boat: 1980 Wellcraft Scarab 377 twin turbo, 1984 Formula 242 LS SBC/ Alpha, 1979 Sea Ray 240 SRV Flybridge w/ twin 480's, 1979 Scarab 300 BBC 330's/TRS
Posts: 1,755
Default

Here is something interesting I found. When I bought my 30' Scarab this summer, the boat had been sitting for 8 years. When I pulled the water hoses off to replace the raw water pump impeller, I noticed that they winterized it with green automotive antifreeze. The rubber impeller came out looking new and still flexible. When I had winterized my other boat before with the red stuff, in the spring when I pulled the raw water pump off to change the impeller, the vanes always had small cracks in them. The only reason I think the PO used green automotive antifreeze was because they owned a tire repair shop and green antifreeze was plentiful and cheap back then. So I think the red stuff is harsh on rubber components.
phughes69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:15 AM
  #8
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
phughes69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: St. Clair Shores, MI
My Boat: 1980 Wellcraft Scarab 377 twin turbo, 1984 Formula 242 LS SBC/ Alpha, 1979 Sea Ray 240 SRV Flybridge w/ twin 480's, 1979 Scarab 300 BBC 330's/TRS
Posts: 1,755
Default

Here is another question. During winterization it is common practice to fog the engine. The engines will sit for 6 months. What about all the hot rod guys that store their car for the winter, why don't they fog their engines???
phughes69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:24 PM
  #9
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Knot 4 Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central IL, LOTO
My Boat: 2018 Princecraft Tritoon w/300 VRod
Posts: 7,349
Default

Originally Posted by oconnor marine View Post
Add fuel to achieve almost full tank and add marine fuel stabilizer. warm motor up on muffs then flush with 4 to 5 gallons of -50 non toxic marine RV PINK antifreeze . Shut off. No draining needed. It also has corrosion inhibitor in it. This procedure is perfect for new England. It protects freeze up to -50 f. Grease all the fittings....
If you have a recirculating pump on the front of the engine and do not drain all the water out of the block before running 5 gallons of pink in you will have partially diluted AF which will freeze and expand. All the water in the block will not be forced out. Some of it will be recirculated with the incoming AF and dilute it. I've done tests with 50/50 car AF and it only tested down to about -10 on one side and not even to 0 on the other. Make sure to drain the block and as much as you can on the inlet side (seawater pump, fuel coolers, etc.) before running in the pink RV stuff.
Knot 4 Me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:12 PM
  #10
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Mentalpause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: IL...LOTO
My Boat: Nor-Tech 340 CC
Posts: 3,772
Default

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
If you have a recirculating pump on the front of the engine and do not drain all the water out of the block before running 5 gallons of pink in you will have partially diluted AF which will freeze and expand. All the water in the block will not be forced out. Some of it will be recirculated with the incoming AF and dilute it. I've done tests with 50/50 car AF and it only tested down to about -10 on one side and not even to 0 on the other. Make sure to drain the block and as much as you can on the inlet side (seawater pump, fuel coolers, etc.) before running in the pink RV stuff.
Or there is buy outboards and run it all winter.
Mentalpause is offline  
Reply With Quote

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser