Blue wing nut for water release on engine >

Blue wing nut for water release on engine

Notices

Blue wing nut for water release on engine

Old 05-18-2019, 11:48 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

best drain plugs on the market for marine engines. Brass into brass and do not forget some water pump impeller housing are brass where the drain plugs go into. Also the best thing about these are you can put a long extension socket on them for the reach. Can not do that with a wing nut drain plugs. So many of the wing nut drain plugs get stuck and can not get out with fingers or they are hard to reach by hand. Also when you have 2 different metals against each other - that causes corrosion. These are perfect for block drains as well and do not need a oring to seal (never ). On the wing nut drain plugs you are counting on a thin oring to seal against water leaks as well.

Brass into brass will not corrode.

Last edited by BUP; 05-18-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:55 PM
BUP
Banned

And SS drain plug threads going into brass or cast iron engine blocks can make for cross threading alot easier than brass drain plugs being screwed in. Especially the more times they are taken out and put back in.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
best drain plugs on the market for marine engines. Brass into brass and do not forget some water pump impeller housing are brass where the drain plugs go into. Also the best thing about these are you can put a long extension socket on them for the reach. Can not do that with a wing nut drain plugs. So many of the wing nut drain plugs get stuck and can not get out with fingers or they are hard to reach by hand. Also when you have 2 different metals against each other - that causes corrosion. These are perfect for block drains as well and do not need a oring to seal (never ). On the wing nut drain plugs you are counting on a thin oring to seal against water leaks as well.

Brass into brass will not corrode.
where do you get these? Link?
Old 05-19-2019, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I just ordered a set of the Hardin SS drain plugs. Wish I'd known about these years ago!
Old 05-19-2019, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/QuickSilver-Stern-Inboard-Engine-Manifold/dp/B0039065G6/ref=asc_df_B0039065G6/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adpositio n}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocph y=&hvtargid=pla-4584138859742229&psc=1
Old 05-19-2019, 12:15 PM
BUP
Banned

I bring the info to the table and I have 50 in stock at all times and thats the link I am providing. Making it easy so you do not have to spend the time hunting . haha

Last edited by BUP; 05-19-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:25 PM
BUP
Banned

or these if you really like
the wing nuts - and no link needed
Old 05-19-2019, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm at my wits end I think!! I've burned myself with hot screw drivers hot water (heat draws the water out) ect. The plug is just getting more and more mangled as I go....I'm getting nowhere. Think I might save time just pulling the whole cool fuel unit off! It needs to be worked on not upside down and barely in reach. I'm going to have to get it on the bench to do this by the look of it. Or should I try the EZ out way?? Mercruiser should have done it right and used brass plugs that are more durable. But then they wouldn't make money off stupid plastic plugs year after year. I'm in the process of ordering new ones from Michigan Marine (Harding).

Last edited by iroc fan; 05-19-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by iroc fan
I'm at my wits end I think!! I've burned myself with hot screw drivers hot water (heat draws the water out) ect. The plug is just getting more and more mangled as I go....I'm getting nowhere. Think I might save time just pulling the whole cool fuel unit off! It needs to be worked on not upside down and barely in reach. I'm going to have to get it on the bench to do this by the look of it...total BS. Mercruiser should have done it right and used brass plugs that are more durable. But then they wouldn't make money off stupid plastic plugs year after year. I'm in the process of ordering new ones from Michigan Marine (Harding). Or should I try the EZ out way??
It's just plastic. Drill it out and run a tap or a bolt in to clean the threads.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:14 PM
BUP
Banned

if hard to get out or reach Just take a long blade screw driver or pin punch or thick long pic and break it apart to fail out. ONLY hit the plastic so you you not damage the threads or the portion the plug screws into. Use a hammer against what ever tool you are using to break it apart. Also an easy out always works but not all the time depending on reach and so forth. Every year I have to extract about 20 to 35 of these as most do not know they should be changed out every 2 to 5 years. Or when an engine is overheated or been running hot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.