Notices

454 rear main leak

Old 08-07-2019, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
There are 3 oil passages with pipe plugs around the rear cam journal area and also one in the rear of the block below the distributor, something to check.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rspillman88
Its definitely dripping off the oil pan right at the rear main
its amazing how a tiny stream of oil can go unnoticed and makes its way all the way to the pan and drip, especially when it is hot. i saw similar drips a few months back and was convinced it was rear main seal, but it was valve covers.

I would definitely reseal (or tighten the bolts) on the valve covers and clean it all really well before any more major surgery.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sailtexas186548
its amazing how a tiny stream of oil can go unnoticed and makes its way all the way to the pan and drip, especially when it is hot. i saw similar drips a few months back and was convinced it was rear main seal, but it was valve covers.

I would definitely reseal (or tighten the bolts) on the valve covers and clean it all really well before any more major surgery.
okay so I looked really well behind the valve covers and they are clean down to the block. The whole top half back of the motor is clean and dry not even so much as dust on it
Old 08-07-2019, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

Might be the oilpan gasket in the corners where the cap meets the block. That spot is a typical suspect if the ultra grey gob wasn’t big enough. Or like I eluded to in the previous post, Felpro’s fancy reinforced one piece gasket turned into a crumbled mess in no more than 15 hours recently. I have used this gasket before with no problems so I have to guess that it was a composition problem in the rubber. Don’t know what gasket is in your application. Unfortunately the only cure is pulling the pan off.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ph1971
Might be the oilpan gasket in the corners where the cap meets the block. That spot is a typical suspect if the ultra grey gob wasn’t big enough. Or like I eluded to in the previous post, Felpro’s fancy reinforced one piece gasket turned into a crumbled mess in no more than 15 hours recently. I have used this gasket before with no problems so I have to guess that it was a composition problem in the rubber. Don’t know what gasket is in your application. Unfortunately the only cure is pulling the pan off.
That's the spot I'm thinking as well. Oh well I dont have time to mess with it so into the shop it goes
Old 08-08-2019, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The brass fitting that screws into the oil pan drain hole is tight and has a sealing washer on it right?