Stainless marine manifold plumbing Q >

Stainless marine manifold plumbing Q

Notices

Stainless marine manifold plumbing Q

Old 06-15-2020, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Stainless marine manifold plumbing Q

So im switching my boat from Imco powerflows to Stainless marine manifolds on my 87 formula (BBC)and my question is what do I do with the cooling lines? On the imco the the water is split right above the thermostat and it goes into the risers and out the back. The only other connection to the exhaust is on the thermostat housing there is a T and that goes to the bottom of the manifolds. The stainless marine has the hose that goes from the manifold to the risers (where the imco connection would be on the risers) so I now have an extra set of cooling lines coming out of the thermostat housing.

Last edited by M1boater; 06-15-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by M1boater
So im switching my boat from Imco powerflows to Stainless marine manifolds on my 87 formula (BBC)and my question is what do I do with the cooling lines? On the imco the the water is split right above the thermostat and it goes into the risers and out the back. The only other connection to the exhaust is on the thermostat housing there is a T and that goes to the bottom of the manifolds. The stainless marine has the hose that goes from the manifold to the risers (where the imco connection would be on the risers) so I know have an extra set of cooling lines coming out of the thermostat housing.
we had the same dilemma changing from cmi e top to SS marine. The most attractive solution in my opinion and what we opted to do...was purchased stainless steel fittings from cp performance. They are expensive tho and you will need 4 of them.

The following users liked this post:
I'CE (06-25-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 04:57 PM
Registered

Interesting, I wonder if you could just remove the "t" and plug it. Then the two main lines that come out at the top of the thermostat would go to to the bottom of the manifolds? Or would not enough water be flowing then?? Looks like the previous owner also removed the thermostats... is that normal?? boat was ran previously in Indiana, now will be on the Great Lakes.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 104 Likes on 68 Posts

The stainless marine manifold I had on my 1988 Formula had an elbow on the bottom of the manifolds to connect the hose from the tstat housing and then the small hose at the joint between manifold and tail.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by M1boater
Interesting, I wonder if you could just remove the "t" and plug it. Then the two main lines that come out at the top of the thermostat would go to to the bottom of the manifolds? Or would not enough water be flowing then?? Looks like the previous owner also removed the thermostats... is that normal?? boat was ran previously in Indiana, now will be on the Great Lakes.
To have a proper setup it should have a t stat in there...

and you cannot plug it. one of the legs is a bypass that goes out the exhaust the other is a return that has passed thru the t stat. you need both. Your other alternative is a different t stat housing that plumbs bypass differently.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
To have a proper setup it should have a t stat in there...

and you cannot plug it. one of the legs is a bypass that goes out the exhaust the other is a return that has passed thru the t stat. you need both. Your other alternative is a different t stat housing that plumbs bypass differently.

Okay, good to know. I'll prob end up going with those "y" connectors from cp performance. Im guessing a different thermostat housing would be quite a bit more expensive. I have no idea why the T-stats were removed.

Last edited by M1boater; 06-15-2020 at 08:57 PM.