Difficult time installing new drive >

Difficult time installing new drive

Notices

Difficult time installing new drive

Old 07-21-2020, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Difficult time installing new drive

So I tore up my old Imco Extreme Advantage on my 27 Fountain Fever and purchased an Imco Extreme Advantage SC.

The old drive came off smoothly but the new drive is having a difficult time going all the way on. It will only slide on to where the gimbal studs are near flush with the drive but not poking through.

I have read that I may need a gimbal bearing alignment tool to complete this project but the soonest I can find one is two weeks out.

Here is what I've tried so far:

-removed the driveshaft o ring and it still does not go all the way on

-the bravo kick did not work out

-wedging a shim in front of the gimbal to change the angle

-lots of grease to ensure it goes on easy

-the shifter cable is clipped in correct and not bent

It looks like the splines are connecting to about 50 percent of the coupler but not going all the way on.

Any tips or tricks to get me back out on the water will be much appreciated!
Old 07-21-2020, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 334 Likes on 165 Posts

A trick that used to work well with TRS drives was to wedge white Styrofoam in the U joints so that the shaft will stay straight, plenty of grease on the splines and slide it in rotating the prop slightly. Once it is fired up and in gear the stryrofoam will disintagrate. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
JT US1 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

make sure the gimbal bearing isnt cocked to one side. the alignment tool helps but you can eyeball it. i had the same problem.
JT US1 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 06:38 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Where are you located? Do you have a marine mechanic friend where you might be able to talk him into borrowing an alignment tool overnight? That's a big ask. But will collateral and some sweet talk, it can be done.

I am in Richmond, VA area. I have an alignment tool in the barn, not being used. I could overnight it to you on your dime, and you can send it back on a slow boat.
But I would have to know by noon today, heading out of town to go road course racing.
JT US1 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Where are you located?
JT US1 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

That far on the drive shaft should have started to engage the coupler and the universal should be straight. Is that the case? Have you tried turning the drive shaft once you get to that point to see if the drive shaft and coupler are binding or misaligned?
JT US1 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 10:09 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies guys and I especially appreciate the offer to ship one to me, obviously a great group of people on this forum.

There is a local marine mechanic that offered to rent me the tool for the day for 140 bucks. I decided to not take him up on that offer as it seemed a bit steep.

At this point I am just going to wait until the gimbal service tool set gets here on the 29th. I've got a few other things to knock out in the meantime such as re wiring the trailer.

I will be sure to post up my results after the tools get here.

Off topic, road course racing is something I would love to get into. I have a simulator that I spend a lot of time running iracing and am building a z28 setup for VIR which is about an hour down the road from me. I hope to run into you at the track one day Sydwayz!

Old 07-22-2020, 10:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
Where are you located?
I am in Fuquay-Varina, NC just south of Raleigh.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
That far on the drive shaft should have started to engage the coupler and the universal should be straight. Is that the case? Have you tried turning the drive shaft once you get to that point to see if the drive shaft and coupler are binding or misaligned?
I did rotate the motor a half revolution with no luck.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SABER28
make sure the gimbal bearing isnt cocked to one side. the alignment tool helps but you can eyeball it. i had the same problem.
It looks right but I'll wipe up all the grease and take a closer look.

Thanks for the help guys!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.