Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
New tab installation, placement? >

New tab installation, placement?

Notices

New tab installation, placement?

Old 08-11-2021, 06:02 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New tab installation, placement?

Hi all, i have asked this question on a donzi Facebook group, but man there are just so many people asking stupid follow up questions (why xr, you don't need tabs etc etc) so I'll just be frustrated, sorry for the long post but I want to give you all the details.

I have an 87 DonzI 21 hornet III.

It's currently set up with a bravo xr drive, with sportmaster -2 lower, and a (for now) stock 7.4 mpi with powerflow exhaust.

in a 5 year plan, I'm updating everything to handle a lot of power, new engine will be 6-700hp.
last winter i roughly did:
new bravo transom unit
Bravo xr -2" sportmaster outdrive
Mayfair single ram steering.

This winter, I'm amongst other things blueprinting/removing hook below the upper lifting strake, and switching out my small Bennet tabs, to something bigger, like the big Eddie marine ones or similar around ~20"

I boat in a lake that gets real choppy, so to be fair the boat is a few feet short. But I love the boat so I'm dealing with it...

What is the ideal placement for my tabs? I would love to "extend" my running surface during choppy seas, but I don't want to scrub speed going wot. Now they are mounted parallel over the upper lifting strake.

Should I place them horizontal or along the bottom? I need to fibreglass some holes and paint the transom partly anyway, so I can go either direction..

Pics coming as soon as i am allowed.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

removed

Last edited by NHGuy; 08-16-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:16 PM
Registered

gaad, I cannot manage this post!

Last edited by NHGuy; 08-16-2021 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:17 PM
Registered

removed
Old 08-17-2021, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I am running 18 inch long Lenco tabs on my 22 classic. Some folks follow the hull and others mount them horizontal. I think 2 inches in from the outer chine. The Lencos are nice in that they have a built in indicator and auto retract when the key is turned off.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by smokediver
I am running 18 inch long Lenco tabs on my 22 classic. Some folks follow the hull and others mount them horizontal. I think 2 inches in from the outer chine. The Lencos are nice in that they have a built in indicator and auto retract when the key is turned off.
Do you run them following or horizontal?
2 inches in from outside of outer Chine with horizontal?

Do you feel they are "sensitive" with adjustments that big? I usually tap them very easily, just to correct listing, or get em down running in rough seas.