Received 339 Likes on 261 Posts

In most cases you can find the bearing part numbers on the bearings
When I did mine I found stock bearings but didn't write them down
The following users liked this post:
SB (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 149 Likes on 92 Posts

Just got back from picking up the shop built press. Thing weighs over 800 lbs + abt 200 lbs worth of thick plates/adapters/ etc. I'm worn-out from loading and unloading in the 100+ deg heat.. Ironically, prev owner who built it used it to press hubs into props.

I saw some kits on Ebay but was hesitant to order since I don't know how good the quality is or who makes the parts. Price is right though.

We have a great bearing supplier in town that has never let me down. Been there many times with nothing but the number from the old bearing and they've always been able to matched it up. The seals I'm pretty sure I'll have to order, but want to check with the local marine rpr shop first.

Haven't got the old one apart yet. Is the cavity inside the part that holds the bearings supposed to be packed with grease?
Old 06-22-2022, 11:27 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 464 Likes on 237 Posts

yes....pack the area between the two bearings with grease. The last pump i did like that i went a step further and got bearing with full contact seals...then took out the seals on the insides of the bearings where the grease is. I figure the full contact seals will just be one extra layer of defense is water gets past the outer seals.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
zz28zz (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 449 Likes on 198 Posts

FWIW, the bearing kit I bought had Koyo bearings in it, which is a good quality brand.
zz28zz (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 07:13 PM
Registered

Koyo is fine. Ordered 2 kits from Ebay. Thx for the link Doc. Listing says it's for the type of pumps with a plastic impeller body. Mine are metallic but suspect the bearing part is the same.

Thx Wally, I'll be sure to pack the bearings and void between them with some water-proof grease. Briefly considered installing a grease zerk, but since orig set of bearing lasted 30+ years, it will probably be OK.

Picked-up a bearing puller set with 2 different sizes of bearing splitters. Will try to get the bearing assy apart this evening after it cools down a bit. Summer came early in Tx this year.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:06 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,144 Likes on 560 Posts

You will most likely need to use a hydraulic press to remove and install the bearings and shaft back into the housing.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:52 AM
Registered

Got the bearing assy apart last night. My new-to-me hyd press made quick work of it. Didn't even have to install the handle into the bottle jack. Nothing like having the right tools for the job! Bearings were still intact but felt really rough. No wonder it sounded so unhappy. Waiting on my Ebay delivery now.

Old bearing coming out..Yuck..

The following 2 users liked this post by zz28zz:
SB (06-23-2022), Wally (06-23-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 10:03 PM
Registered

Got it all back together and idle tested on the hose. Much better. Thx to all.
BTW, bearings were Koyo 62042RSCM sealed and pre-lubed. Didn't pack grease in void between the bearings since the bearings are sealed on both sides..
DrFeelgood (06-27-2022)