Notices

Build engine

Old 06-29-2022, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Centifugal blowers use step up gear ratios. The faster the the engine rpm the more boost.

The pro chargers can be bought with engine fed oil or self contained oil.
hello SB..if it is engine fed oil will it have oil pressor like the crank...or just sprinkle like the valves...thank you
Old 06-29-2022, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

That sounds fine I would be more concerned with the water that you are getting in the drain line .
Old 06-29-2022, 12:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by green lightning
That sounds fine I would be more concerned with the water that you are getting in the drain line .
i think it is condensation but time will tell...thank you for the info...you have mean mashine..very nice..allso carb?
Old 06-29-2022, 12:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Zole
i think it is condensation but time will tell...thank you for the info...you have mean mashine..very nice..allso carb?

Yes I run carburetors they are under the intercoolers in the carb boxes

Old 06-29-2022, 12:38 PM
Registered

Yes I run carburetors they are under the intercoolers in the carb boxes
man...beast's....once you told me your a EFI guy....
Old 06-29-2022, 12:44 PM
Registered

No i don't run fuel injection on the boat I do have afr guages to help me with jet adjustments .
Old 06-29-2022, 12:55 PM
Registered

No i don't run fuel injection on the boat I do have afr guages to help me with jet adjustments .
i've seen them on your exoust...very nice...ok i von't pick your brain any more for today..wish you all the best and i'll write back when i have more info..tnx
Old 06-29-2022, 01:44 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Zole
hey wally....so the engine oil looks fine no water yust the hose that brings back oil from charger to block...i allso thout that prochargers have their own lubrikations but this one came with the oil hose conected to the engine block..it is an m-1 procharger...regarding the vacum i can see -1 bar but not at idle only when i start tu give trotle...could the valves couse that problem(wrong preload)?
Do a compression test...if you have wrong preload then the cyl wont seal right and compression will be down.
But low vac could be lots of different things....manifold gaskets, carb gasket, carb out of adjustment, timing, bad rings, many variables....
here, i copied this off another website but it can give you a place to start looking with your vac gauge:

A vacuum gauge shows the difference between outside atmospheric pressure and the amount of vacuum present in the intake manifold. The pistons in the engine serve as suction pumps and the amount of vacuum they create is affected by the related actions of:
  • Pistons rings
  • Valve train
  • Ignition system
  • Fuel control system
  • Other parts affecting the combustion process, like emissions devices

Each of these has a characteristic effect on vacuum and you have to judge their performance as compared to what is considered "normal". To do this, it's important to judge engine performance by the general location and action of the vacuum gauge needle, rather than just by a vacuum reading. What follows is a list of the kinds of gauge readings you may find.

Normal Engine Operation
At idling speed, an engine at sea level should show a steady vacuum reading between 14 in. and 22 in. Hg. A quick opening and closing of the throttle should cause the vacuum to drop below 5 in., then rebound to 23 in. or more.

General Ignition Trouble or Sticking Valves
With the engine at idle, the continued fluctuation of 1 to 2 inches may indicate an ignition problem. You should check things like spark-plug gap, primary ignition circuit, high-tension cables, distributor cap or ignition coil. Fluctuations of 3 to 4 inches may point to sticking valves.

Intake System Leakage, Valve Timing or Low Compression
A vacuum reading at idle that is much lower than normal might indicate leakage through the intake manifold gaskets, manifold to carburetor gaskets, vacuum brake booster or the vacuum modulator. Low readings could also be caused by very late valve timing or worn piston rings.

Exhaust Back Pressure
Starting with the engine at idle, slowly increase engine speed to 3,000 rpm. Engine vacuum should be equal to or higher than vacuum at curb idle. If vacuum decreases at higher rpm, an excessive amount of back pressure is probably present due to a restriction in the exhaust system.

Cylinder Head Gasket Leakage
With the engine at idle, the vacuum gauge pointer will drop sharply every time the leak occurs. The drop will be from the steady reading shown by the pointer to a reading of 10 in. to 12 in. Hg. or less. If the leak is between two cylinders, the drop will be much greater. You can determine the location of the leak by doing a compression test.
Remember, engine problems can affect transmission performance. If you suspect an engine problem, connect a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold. Note the location and action of the vacuum gauge needle, and use that information to determine the engine problem. Correct the engine problem before doing extensive calibration work on the transmission.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-29-2022, 02:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
Do a compression test...if you have wrong preload then the cyl wont seal right and compression will be down.
But low vac could be lots of different things....manifold gaskets, carb gasket, carb out of adjustment, timing, bad rings, many variables....
here, i copied this off another website but it can give you a place to start looking with your vac gauge:

A vacuum gauge shows the difference between outside atmospheric pressure and the amount of vacuum present in the intake manifold. The pistons in the engine serve as suction pumps and the amount of vacuum they create is affected by the related actions of:
  • Pistons rings
  • Valve train
  • Ignition system
  • Fuel control system
  • Other parts affecting the combustion process, like emissions devices

Each of these has a characteristic effect on vacuum and you have to judge their performance as compared to what is considered "normal". To do this, it's important to judge engine performance by the general location and action of the vacuum gauge needle, rather than just by a vacuum reading. What follows is a list of the kinds of gauge readings you may find.

Normal Engine Operation
At idling speed, an engine at sea level should show a steady vacuum reading between 14 in. and 22 in. Hg. A quick opening and closing of the throttle should cause the vacuum to drop below 5 in., then rebound to 23 in. or more.

General Ignition Trouble or Sticking Valves
With the engine at idle, the continued fluctuation of 1 to 2 inches may indicate an ignition problem. You should check things like spark-plug gap, primary ignition circuit, high-tension cables, distributor cap or ignition coil. Fluctuations of 3 to 4 inches may point to sticking valves.

Intake System Leakage, Valve Timing or Low Compression
A vacuum reading at idle that is much lower than normal might indicate leakage through the intake manifold gaskets, manifold to carburetor gaskets, vacuum brake booster or the vacuum modulator. Low readings could also be caused by very late valve timing or worn piston rings.

Exhaust Back Pressure
Starting with the engine at idle, slowly increase engine speed to 3,000 rpm. Engine vacuum should be equal to or higher than vacuum at curb idle. If vacuum decreases at higher rpm, an excessive amount of back pressure is probably present due to a restriction in the exhaust system.

Cylinder Head Gasket Leakage
With the engine at idle, the vacuum gauge pointer will drop sharply every time the leak occurs. The drop will be from the steady reading shown by the pointer to a reading of 10 in. to 12 in. Hg. or less. If the leak is between two cylinders, the drop will be much greater. You can determine the location of the leak by doing a compression test.
Remember, engine problems can affect transmission performance. If you suspect an engine problem, connect a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold. Note the location and action of the vacuum gauge needle, and use that information to determine the engine problem. Correct the engine problem before doing extensive calibration work on the transmission.
oh man....you went all aut for me....thank you so much for your eford..now i have a bunch of data to work with...i von't truble you eney more...if there is a way i can help you guys in eny way yust let me know..
Old 06-29-2022, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

.8 bar of vacuum = 24" of mercury.
That's a LOT of vacuum. I would think 18-20" of mercury would be all you'd see at a 750-800rpm idle.
10 psi of fuel pressure? What is the box pressure? Usually, you'll have a little positive pressure in the carb box even at idle. If you are running "box pressure" to your fuel pressure regulator (you should be), then you want to see about 7 psi PLUS box pressure. If you have 4 psi of box pressure then you want to see 11 psi of fuel line pressure. If you have 10 psi in the box (at higher speeds of course) then you want to see 17 psi of fuel line pressure. By the way, you can't run a fuel pump that doesn't have a built in regulator (unless it has a boost reference port).
You mention a problem with higher rpm problems. What is your fuel pressure at max speed, and what if your boost pressure at that speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.