Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Donzi
26 zx speeds >

26 zx speeds

Notices

26 zx speeds

Old 12-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

These guys Shangheid and Jamie are on the money with the whole speed/prop deal.

A number of us have played around with different combos but mostly use the Merc Bravo. I think that Jamie here ended up with a 5 blade but he has a pretty high xdimension and started slipping once he went with bigger power. He will knows much more about the later model 26ZX's so I will let him run with that one.

For the lower power combos, there is nothing special. You may be able to wring another mph or two by going to a 3 blade but you will probably not like the handling. I would run it the way it is (just like the way you mentioned) until it is time to up the ante. Then you can run it up the road to Jamie and see how much fun it is with 625+hp. or maybe more......

Now the Baja comparison.....well let's just say I got beat by a Baja once. It had a blown 509 and was a runner. He could run 85 on a good day. Well I went back to the drawing board over the winter. Let's just say he won't come near me now. My favorite Baja to dust off is one of the nice twins. One of the boats that sounds loud and has a couple of 454's. One that a guy has stepped up to so he really can impress his girl. I like to let them get up next to me at 60 or so. Right where they thing that my heavy single is going to run out of beans. He will then lean over and tell his girl he is going to dust me off. I watch them drop the hammer. As that happens I ease into it and run it up to about 70-75 or so. Right where they are going to run out of beans. Then I drop the hammer and come running by at 85+ That is when the girls in my boat wave good bye. I love Baja dusting stories.

Last edited by ZXXX Donzi; 12-01-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats funny

exept I probably won't be laughing when this guy with a
24' cobalt b.r. (same power) walks me on one of the smaller lakes here that i frequent.
he's cocky enough
I will have to coax him out when a storm is comeing in ,
then it might get fun.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghabeck
thats funny

24' cobalt b.r. (same power) walks me on one of the smaller lakes here that i frequent.
he's cocky enough
then it might get fun.
I used the storm trick on my 27ZX. I had these bass boats that would smoke me on hot summer days when the water was glass. When a good system would come in I would run by them at 65 or so in 3+ footers. Those poor guys would be sneaking down the bank off plane trying to get home. I would not buzz them close or anything but they got the picture when they saw me having a ball out in the middle of the lake.

It should work like a dream with that Cobalt.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
These guys Shangheid and Jamie are on the money with the whole speed/prop deal.

A number of us have played around with different combos but mostly use the Merc Bravo. I think that Jamie here ended up with a 5 blade but he has a pretty high xdimension and started slipping once he went with bigger power. He will knows much more about the later model 26ZX's so I will let him run with that one.

For the lower power combos, there is nothing special. You may be able to wring another mph or two by going to a 3 blade but you will probably not like the handling. I would run it the way it is (just like the way you mentioned) until it is time to up the ante. Then you can run it up the road to Jamie and see how much fun it is with 625+hp. or maybe more......

Now the Baja comparison.....well let's just say I got beat by a Baja once. It had a blown 509 and was a runner. He could run 85 on a good day. Well I went back to the drawing board over the winter. Let's just say he won't come near me now. My favorite Baja to dust off is one of the nice twins. One of the boats that sounds loud and has a couple of 454's. One that a guy has stepped up to so he really can impress his girl. I like to let them get up next to me at 60 or so. Right where they thing that my heavy single is going to run out of beans. He will then lean over and tell his girl he is going to dust me off. I watch them drop the hammer. As that happens I ease into it and run it up to about 70-75 or so. Right where they are going to run out of beans. Then I drop the hammer and come running by at 85+ That is when the girls in my boat wave good bye. I love Baja dusting stories..
Thanks for the plug J
Old 12-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghabeck
thats funny

he's cocky enough
then it might get fun.
It was good talking with you this afternoon.. & Congrats on the new ride.. The cobalt is a good boat, but if it gets rough out just remember the more wicked it gets the more fun YOU will have in your boat! Jamie
Old 12-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS results....

What they said See attached.

I've actually seen a little more heading into light chop. Mine's a 2000 with HO Mag, all stock with stock B1.

.........and it's for sale. (83 hours)