28ZX Prop Talk >

28ZX Prop Talk

Notices

28ZX Prop Talk

Old 07-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Beachbum28
I have a 2003 ZXO with 350 mags (300 hp) bravo 1/ 1.50. I have Merc mirage puls 23p. I have hit 70 on the gps but run 66-68 all day. Props are top of my list of upgrades. Brett at Bblades is recomending the revolution 4. I have read a lot of great reviews on him and his company, so I am going to try them out early next spring. I am looking for a nice cruise and better control at the dock.

Silly question... Which way do you spin your props? Mine are set fron Donzi to spin "in". I do not plan to change that, but a few people have told me it will handel better.

Great post, Matt
That aint a silly question. Are you sure? Most i thought were spinning out. I have a closed bow though, so unsure if they spun em different.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Word is the factory set up Scorpion edition 28's to spin In (starboard engine spins counter clockwise, Port engine spins clockwise).

The rest of them were set up to spin Out...

With that said: I have seen them set up both ways on both Scorpion edition and regular boats. Both ways on ZXO's and ZX's as well. I don't know if it is a factory or owner change.

If I remember correctly mine spin out. I go by the decals on the transom

My next prop test will hopefully come this weekend. Hydromotive 26" Q IV. I'm waiting on the delivery of castle washers before I can bolt them on.

I have not tried 25" Bravo 1's (they don't make them, so it would be a custom order). I'm guessing Brett wants to take a 24" Bravo and cup the hell out of it to add lift and also reduce RPM. I won't use BBlades, bad experience, Mr. Fixxall here and on donzi net suggested DAH: http://www.dahpropellers.com/ I trust him so that's who I will use when the time comes. They are cheaper and they polish the props so they don't look like turd when they are done.

Regarding the Revolution 4's... I have looked for a set used and they are HARD to find. I think they max out at 25" so there just aren't that many of them. They also have a HUGE blade. Considering our boats are designed for a 3 blade wheel I think the bigger blade will destroy top end, and considering how efficient the cruise is with the Bravos I don't think they will work well on our boats. just my opinion though so take if FWIW.

Beachbum: You have one of the fastest ZXO's out there. I looked at a scorpion edtion ZXO that could only hit 73. Mr. X (used to test drive every boat at the factory) said the Opens are slower because of the air flow over the bow. I'd actually like to try running with the cockpit cover on to see if it runs faster.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

You mean the bow cover????

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
Word is the factory set up Scorpion edition 28's to spin In (starboard engine spins counter clockwise, Port engine spins clockwise).

With that said: I have seen them set up both ways on both Scorpion edition and regular boats. Both ways on ZXO's and ZX's as well. I don't know if it is a factory or owner change.

My next prop test will hopefully come this weekend. Hydromotive 26" Q IV. I'm waiting on the delivery of castle washers before I can bolt them on.

I have not tried 25" Bravo 1's (they don't make them, so it would be a custom order). I'm guessing Brett wants to take a 24" Bravo and cup the hell out of it to add lift and also reduce RPM. I won't use BBlades, bad experience, Mr. Fixxall here and on donzi net suggested DAH: http://www.dahpropellers.com/ I trust him so that's who I will use when the time comes. They are cheaper and they polish the props so they don't look like turd when they are done.

Regarding the Revolution 4's... I have looked for a set used and they are HARD to find. I think they max out at 25" so there just aren't that many of them. They also have a HUGE blade. Considering our boats are designed for a 3 blade wheel I think the bigger blade will destroy top end, and considering how efficient the cruise is with the Bravos I don't think they will work well on our boats. just my opinion though so take if FWIW.

Beachbum: You have one of the fastest ZXO's out there. I looked at a scorpion edtion ZXO that could only hit 73. Mr. X (used to test drive every boat at the factory) said the Opens are slower because of the air flow over the bow. I'd actually like to try running with the cockpit cover on to see if it runs faster.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shag555
You mean the bow cover????
Yes I meant bow cover, was obviously too early when I typed that !!!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Registered

I had visions of that Enterprise Rental Cars commercial where the car is all wrapped up in brown shipping paper and driving down the road!

Have you thought of switching to 1.50 ratio, and, do you know how to measure the X value? I'd be interested in doing a comparison with you (I want to know as well, for future purposes).
Old 07-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shag555
I had visions of that Enterprise Rental Cars commercial where the car is all wrapped up in brown shipping paper and driving down the road!

Have you thought of switching to 1.50 ratio, and, do you know how to measure the X value? I'd be interested in doing a comparison with you (I want to know as well, for future purposes).
The enterprise thing is hilarious, my covers are even tan to match!

We can measure the X in a simple way... just take a tape measure and measure the distance from the lowest part of the transom assembly to the bottom of the hull directly below it in a vertical line. To double check accuracy we can also measure the top of the transom assembly to the bottom of the underside of the swim platform.

I can measure mine Thursday... taking the day off to go boating
Old 07-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Registered

I am sure my props spin "in" I have decals on the transom that show what direction they should go.
As far as my GPS speed. I have a Livorsi set up. Another silly question, is there any way to calibrate a spedo? Do they have a +/- of any MPH?
Any way, I love this thread, I look forward to reading about which one works out best for you.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Beachbum28
I am sure my props spin "in" I have decals on the transom that show what direction they should go.
As far as my GPS speed. I have a Livorsi set up. Another silly question, is there any way to calibrate a spedo? Do they have a +/- of any MPH?
Any way, I love this thread, I look forward to reading about which one works out best for you.
It should be calibrated properly. If you have a smart phone you can get a number of free GPS apps that will show you speed on the screen to double check the accuracy.

Also, I'm not questioning your speed at all, just making a statement. It's a great speed to hit and it sounds like your boat runs right!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Registered

My measures off the transom plate as you described are 6.5" down, and 6.5" up (at flat of the bottom of the swim platform, past radius).
Old 07-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member

It should be calibrated properly. If you have a smart phone you can get a number of free GPS apps that will show you speed on the screen to double check the accuracy.

Also, I'm not questioning your speed at all, just making a statement. It's a great speed to hit and it sounds like your boat runs right!

SeaTow has a free GPS speedo App

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.