Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Donzi
38ZX's what do I need to know... >

38ZX's what do I need to know...

Notices

38ZX's what do I need to know...

Old 01-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 38ZX's what do I need to know...

Going to go look at a 2000 38ZX with 500EFI's and XR drives. What do I need to know about these boats before I set it in stone it's what I want. Never owned a Donzi, my previous boats have been Sea Ray, Rinker, and Formula. What should I look for, any common known issues with them. How is the build and structure, any wood used during the build.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really like mine. I looked at 382 furmula, 42 fountain, 38 cigarette. The 38zx mixes the best for me. Cabin space, cockpit space, headroom, and performance. Very good build quality. Much better than 38 special I had before. Can be hard on drives due to the weight.
Mine. http://photos.flpowerboat.com/p748069954
Old 01-19-2014, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a full survey done which check the stringers Meister in the hall and all of trying to make sure they're working you can't go wrong with that they can run the AC unit in heat without it being in the water to make sure it works you won't be able to test AC but you will be able to test the heat and with the motors and the hours that it has you're going to want to have them pressure tested in a leak down test to make sure there's nothing internally broken. I would have the top bands done as soon as you get the boat new springs in head gaskets then you know for a fact that you be good for another 350 to 400 hours. Those r the two big things with the 500 efis
Old 01-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2000 is the last year before they had the new updated cabin.

Things to check are the steps. They like to crack at least on the 28ZX they did.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:32 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by prostock3
2000 is the last year before they had the new updated cabin.

Things to check are the steps. They like to crack at least on the 28ZX they did.
All the ZX's develop cracks in several locations. Namely around the mid ship cleats and base of the windscreen. They will also occasionally have some blister looking things around the base of the fairing/windscreen riser (just below the big Donzi logo), these are from the screws used to mount it that were just mudded over at the factory. All of these are minor items as they are very well built, I have looked at and worked on many 38's as well as others and see the same thing across the line. My thoughts is the large volume of the deck and size of it just allow it to flex a bit. I have never seen ANY build issues with how they were put together. I do have to make one note that only recently came to my attention. Be very cautious of the transom just below the outside exhaust cut outs. I had a 99 38ZX in the shop that had a very bad transom and through the rebuild i realized that the pop up cleats mounted in the swim step area allowed water to drip down on top of the headers through hull pipe and that in term wicked down to the exposed inside hole for the exhaust tip. I suspect the potential is there in any ZX with this set up.

The boats them self are a bit of a love hate thing I had a 99 ZX with 525 SC's for seven years and thought it was one of the best boats ever although there a few things you have to get use to. Some times i wonder if anyone at Donz ever spent the weekend on one lol. The cleats on the swim step are very poorly placed and pending how you tie up you will either tear up the sun pad or break the tips of the ends of the scoop/vents on the sides. Most guys just mount another pair of cleats on the side or just make sure you always back in and can cross tie the stern. The boats ride well and run fast for there size and power but you wont be able to keep up with the 38 Top Guns in rough stuff. The extra foot of width, pad bottom and variable deadrise translate to more speed but at the cost of rough water ability. If you do choose to run it had in big water be prepared screw a lot of stuff back in when you done. They also run best with props spinning in, this makes the boat run fairly flat, consequently they never "feel" like they free up they always feel heavy despite having some pretty impressive speed numbers with not a lot of power. They have a competent comfortable ride but in really mixed choppy slop seem harsh (no biggie ya get use to it).

The cabin is great but really only good for two. I had a friend on the boat that tried to sleep on the U shaped thing and i woke up the next morning to find him curled up on the dock with a fender for a pillow lol. The V bed sucks and is hard as a rock, I bought a couple of those memory foam toppers and cut them to fit, seemed to help but in retrospect i would have just bought a cheapy knock off memory ten inch mattress and just cut it down.

I dont think theres a better looking boat on the planet and at nearly fifteen years old it still looks fresh. Not sure if your single or not but chicks dig the hell out of this boat . The 500EFI while a little slower then the 525's are the best power for this boat. Easily Mercs best platform ever, put the sticks in the kitchen an let 'er eat

Truly a great boat, but there are little things. Nothing that would make me not want one again though I decided recently to go back to an old straight bottom boat based on how i like to run. I wanted less amenities, no fridge no micro no sink i just didnt use that stuff so i switched to a 38 Scarab Thunder. .

things to note:
theres a bilge pump under the step a you go down in cabin these are prone to go bad. drainage is poor under the liner
access to service the engines is tough, bilge is cramped but much easier with the EFI's. Water pumps are just reachable standing on your head but forget about bilge pump service.
If it has the original Charles C charger get rid of it they were known to have problems.

I see your in Ohio so i am guessing you will use it in Erie. Feel free to text me if you want to chat about the boat. Where is the one your looking at?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-20-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:46 AM
Registered

if the front bilge is inop watch out the cabin will flood...make sure you check it, as i read on another forum of someone that had there cabin flood.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

yep, and there is hardly any way to get to the cavity under the floor. Not a real big problem, i had an ice maker in mine that blew apart years ago so i used that area for storage and you could get a small shop vac nozzle down there. Maybe once a year i had to clear out the residual water down there. But again never a big issue.

Bilge pump placement on these things was pretty poor, the one under the motors was way to far forward and way to high. It always had six inches of water in it after a weekend that drove me nuts. The one i had in the shop for a transom got a secondary pump installed as far back and low as i could get it before the motors went back in. I piggy backed this right off the feed for the main big pump. My thoughts were that the small pump would be used to draw the water out as much as possible and at the same time exercise the main pump in the process.

If you ever have the engines out for any reason there are areas that can be improved before install. I also got rid of that god awful plastic box thingie used to run all the cables and wires. I think it looks like azz, i prefer a much more serviceable and cleaner traditional method.
Attached Thumbnails 38ZX's what do I need to know...-2013-10-26_16-19-02_880.jpg   38ZX's what do I need to know...-2013-10-31_17-02-20_331.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-21-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 232 Rinker Captiva that the bilge quit working on. With a single engine I had to have someone hold my feet while I reached down and replaced it. Thank God it sat in a plastic clip that made removal and replacement easy.

Thanks for all the help really appreciate it. For the most part sounds like the only issues are the bilges. Which can bite if not taking care of. Nada says the boat weights 11,500. How much on a trailer.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:48 AM
Registered

i think my boat on trailer, with fuel, gear, water im sitting around 14200-15400lbs (with full water and fuel)

220 fuel =1320lbs
20 water= 140lbs
11500(boat)+1320(only when i fill it)+140(fresh water)= 12960+ trailer(1400~2000lbs) = 14360~14960(boat+trailer) + gear = you get the idea

so you want to make sure the trailer is rated for 16k

Last edited by prostock3; 01-23-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Boats. I've loved mine. Just growing the family and friends category so I need more space.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o55786-en.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.