Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Donzi
power steering 22c? >

power steering 22c?

power steering 22c?

Old 09-13-2016, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering 22c?

Sooo... This summer I picked up an 04 22 Classic 496HO MIrage + prop. Bravo 1 X drive. After about 10hours driving time and spending hours on this web site I finally figured out that I need to run about 25% tabs and the boat is a blast to drive. I'm not new to this game with a lifetime of boating experience, but when I first got the boat the handling characteristics were like I can't believe they sell these things. The boat was all over the place?? Now since I think I have it figured out I ran it to 70mph and the boat wanted to pull to the port and I couldnt pull it back with one hand on the wheel even with more port tab down? I have a buddy just down the lake that has an 09 22 Classic same motor, drive with power steering that came factory with the boat, Zeiger Marine was the manufacturer. I drove his boat and wow what a difference and I am assuming that the power steering is what made that difference? One other thing he is running a Rev 4 blade prop? or could that be it? He can take his hands off the wheel at 65 mph and no way would I do that. Any imput would be appreciated guys! Thanks
Old 09-13-2016, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

a decent 4 blade AND full hyd steering both.

If you want to experiment just borrow your buddies prop for an hour....
Old 09-14-2016, 06:27 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have a 2005 22c with a 496 HO and I have NO pull even at wot. with the standard steering package that Donzi put in.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:33 AM
Registered

What prop are you running?
Old 09-15-2016, 02:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scottdonzi2004 View Post
Sooo... This summer I picked up an 04 22 Classic 496HO MIrage + prop. Bravo 1 X drive. After about 10hours driving time and spending hours on this web site I finally figured out that I need to run about 25% tabs and the boat is a blast to drive. I'm not new to this game with a lifetime of boating experience, but when I first got the boat the handling characteristics were like I can't believe they sell these things. The boat was all over the place?? Now since I think I have it figured out I ran it to 70mph and the boat wanted to pull to the port and I couldnt pull it back with one hand on the wheel even with more port tab down? I have a buddy just down the lake that has an 09 22 Classic same motor, drive with power steering that came factory with the boat, Zeiger Marine was the manufacturer. I drove his boat and wow what a difference and I am assuming that the power steering is what made that difference? One other thing he is running a Rev 4 blade prop? or could that be it? He can take his hands off the wheel at 65 mph and no way would I do that. Any imput would be appreciated guys! Thanks
The 009 edition would have a 1" raised X dimension. You might want to look into a shorty drive. The handling of the boats with the higher X dimensions are better IMO.

External steering will help too. At least a single ram half system which would be the cheapest option
Old 09-16-2016, 11:34 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I run a Rev 4 also; best prop for me that I've tried and I tried a lot of them. I don't think you can get rid of all of the torque steer unless you go to a full hydraulic helm and external pistons. I have the standard cable helm an Merc power steering. No way would I let go of my wheel over 40mph.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:51 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, that helps alot...
Old 09-17-2016, 08:24 AM
Registered

How difficult is it installing the external power steering? It's nothing I would do myself but can the average marine mechanic do it or should I take it to a performance boat mechanic? Can anyone suggest one in Michigan?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scottdonzi2004 View Post
I have a 04 model myself.
With the standard Bravo Lower unit the boat handled horribly.
Finally took it to performance Marine in Lake George NY. They told me the drive height in the later model year boats is too low, and I needed a -2" shorty lower unit..........They were right......The boat is a whole different animal with the shorty...Better In EVERY respect.
IMO, there's a reason they raised the drive height, sometime after the 04 model year. It seems like most of the guys that have great handling boats on the forum are either earlier 502's, 454's etc, or later 496's
Performance Marine measured a local 502 classic, and the drive was 1 5/8" higher than mine.
However, I still wouldn't be able to take my hands off the wheel at that speed.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post

External steering will help too. At least a single ram half system which would be the cheapest option
I'm not sure how external rams help without going with a hydraulic helm?
Stronger yes, but this does nothing for the slop that is in the cable helm. If the gimbal and tiller system is all tight, it should be the same...IMHO

I've been thinking of installing the, "half system" but not sure there is a benefit to the handling of the boat...

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser