Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Pro's & Con's of going from XR Sportmasters to Arneson's? >

Pro's & Con's of going from XR Sportmasters to Arneson's?

Notices

Pro's & Con's of going from XR Sportmasters to Arneson's?

Old 09-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Pro's & Con's of going from XR Sportmasters to Arneson's?

I'm considering changing my drives this winter from XR's to something that will hold up with my current HP or if I ever upgrade the motors to something larger.

Arneson's ASD6 or ASD7M are particularly interesting and would consider one of these, but don't know which would be right for my application.

I running a 3600 Supercat with 525EFI's & Whipple Chargers pushing around 730 HP and know the Bravo's are a weak link.

If anyone has some experience with using these on this type of application I'd love to hear the good and bad or switching to them.

Thanks....Jim
Old 09-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been looking in this direction also. The only downside to me is the recreational aspect if playing and swimming around the boat. Those Big old props are hanging way out there. I would purchase some type of prop guards that can easily be attached when we go in the water. Performance and reliability wise, I don't see a drawback.

Darrell.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've seen some prop guards that that Arneson has to fit over the top of the props to give you a little protection.

My XR's are so far back right now and I'm running H-6 Hydromotives, they will impale you if you aren't careful so that issue would be about the same.

One question is how far back they would actually extend compared to my currect set-up which has standoff boxes.

Jim
Old 09-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain4play

One question is how far back they would actually extend compared to my currect set-up which has standoff boxes.

Jim

With your stand off boxes,( if you have the 12" box) the props will be pretty close to the same position. (eyeballing of course). BTW , with the H6's and XR's on a big boat like you have, Those drives are timebombs. I'll only use 4 blades because I'm worried about breaking parts.

Darrell.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I would not disagree with your assessment at all regarding the problems with the boat weight, XR's, Props and HP. It's what was on the boat when I purchased it and know they can be a big issue,

I'm fairly easy on the sticks but don't want to get into the habit of having to re-build or replace drives all the time which seems to be an ongoing issue with XR's with bigger HP and a boat that weigh's over 10K lbs.

Especially since most of my boating is on weekends down at my lake house and would prefer something that is as bulletproof as possible.

Jim

Last edited by fountain4play; 09-12-2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: changed would to would not...
Old 09-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This 3600 was rigged with ASD7's and 850's. Runs just fine after some tweeking.
Attached Thumbnails Pro's & Con's of going from XR Sportmasters to Arneson's?-ta_frisco_cat_4.jpg   Pro's & Con's of going from XR Sportmasters to Arneson's?-ta_frisco_cat_5.jpg  
Old 09-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The props sit about as far back as a #6 boat.

I've heard the prop danger issue over and over again with regard to Arnesons and I fail to see the problem. If you're real worried about this I've seen dozens of rollbar boats on the market that have the props hidden safely under the boat, like the MasterCraft Xstar.

Now back to hi-performance supercats; The props are all sharp and dangerous, stay away from them and you'll be ok.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
If you are staying at or under 800 HP have you considered the Konrads? We can offer a warranty at or under 800 HP on most applications. Next best thing to a #6!!
Right now I'm running 730 hp, but in the future I might be upgrading to 850 hp or larger and the Konrad's if what I've seen are at least as expensive if not more and require a fair amount of re-tooling when changing from the current Bravo set-up and might not hold up with the higher hp motors.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lofty
The props sit about as far back as a #6 boat.

I've heard the prop danger issue over and over again with regard to Arnesons and I fail to see the problem. If you're real worried about this I've seen dozens of rollbar boats on the market that have the props hidden safely under the boat, like the MasterCraft Xstar.

Now back to hi-performance supercats; The props are all sharp and dangerous, stay away from them and you'll be ok.

?? I guess you never have people swimming around your boat. If my wife and friends were swimming around the boat(as we do every weekend) I would just want to be sure there were no injuries. Or it that not macho enough.

Darrell.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by DMOORE
?? I guess you never have people swimming around your boat. If my wife and friends were swimming around the boat(as we do every weekend) I would just want to be sure there were no injuries. Or it that not macho enough.

Darrell.
We have people around ours all the time when we tie up with friends...

Even now it's a constant process of warning people that the props are right below and while not as near to the surface as with a Arneson's, my six blades will still open you up pretty fast if you run into them...

It's not like my Fountain which has a swim platform and protects you pretty well...Even with Bravo's on my Nor-Tech the whole outdrives are exposed and extend a foot and half...

Jim
Attached Images  

Last edited by fountain4play; 09-12-2007 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Pro's & Con's of going from XR Sportmasters to Arneson's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.