What's the scoop on this Bravo? >

What's the scoop on this Bravo?

Notices

What's the scoop on this Bravo?

Old 11-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Back out of the Game!
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to find out it is a 2000 manufactured and 2001 sold Bravo Diesel X Drive. I pulled the top cap and it's the older model thin floored gears but is has hardened gears and a few other upgrades from the older drives. I think I will be OK with 500 HP, if not then I will have Mr. Gadget build it up with the new X set-up. The low water intake is a bonus regardless.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Don't take this wrong, but it's not an X. The X has a steel tower in the upper, thick floor gears & bigger input shaft. Actually with the LWP it is the drive previously sold as the Hi-perf version. If I remember correctly they had a double shot peened upper gear set which was also used on the older diesel version.

Mike, LWP is something you do not want unless you need it to solve a water pressure problem. Usually not required unless you have a very aggressive X dimension or a ventilated bottom boat. They have a tendency to act like a vacuum cleaner and suck up tons of sand.

Regardless Gadgets can set you up.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:06 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,
I take it you got the article I sent you? It does talk about the shot peening of the gears in there. I have seen people put lots of power to the same type of drive and it make it live. But the key is to drive it with respect and it should hold up. If you want to upgrade it to the thick floored gears (X Gears as I call them) and install a steel tower in that case I would be happy to help you.

What Marc says is true. The LWP isnt the best choice unless you need to solve a problem.

Marc,
I couldnt remember if the "X" drive had the large input shaft. Thanks for the support!!
Old 11-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Back out of the Game!
Gold Member

Interesting ..... I took recommendations from my local Mercruiser shop and thought I was going in the right direction. I'm not too worried about LWP sand issues running only in deep water in Lake Huron and I am running a strainer. If I start collecting lots of junk in the strainer I may have to take a look at the pickup. Any other issues with LWP other than picking up crud?

I can say for whatever reason Merc called this drive the X Diesel because I verified it on the Merc tech hotline, plus the OL750*** serial number is embossed right on the decal so it's original. They told me it was a 2000 manufactured, 2001 sold unit. Maybe Merc used the X designation for upgraded gear drives, and with the OM series went a number of steps further for the new style X. Mr Gadgets article from that 2000 era indicated the early X upgrades from the older original design Bravo 1's.

Last edited by mikeb4; 11-21-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Back out of the Game!
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Mbam
Mike, LWP is something you do not want unless you need it to solve a water pressure problem. Usually not required unless you have a very aggressive X dimension or a ventilated bottom boat. They have a tendency to act like a vacuum cleaner and suck up tons of sand.

Regardless Gadgets can set you up.
Here are a couple reasons for LWP on a Pantera !! LOL!
Attached Thumbnails What's the scoop on this Bravo?-28_travelnow2.jpg   What's the scoop on this Bravo?-copy-dsc_0064.jpg   What's the scoop on this Bravo?-copy-sm_picture-53.jpg  

Old 11-21-2007, 10:37 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Sounds like it is a late 90's bravo performance drive.....basically a B1 with hardened gears. Looks like they stuck a b1x diesel sticker on there in place of the bravo 1 performance sticker. If you havent broken it yet i wouldnt worry too much.

Last edited by tblrklakemo; 11-21-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Now those are some cool pics!!