Bravo rebuild continued... >

Bravo rebuild continued...

Notices

Bravo rebuild continued...

Old 01-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo rebuild continued...

So I finally had some time and tore down one of my drives. This one got a shot of water and although it doesn't look too bad, there is some sludge in the bearings. I suppose they all need to be replaced. I don't see any damage to the case, just some brown residue. The gears look amazingly good for the hours on them. The shift cam is real rough. I did have some shifting problems with that drive. Could the damage be caused by an out of adjustment shift cable? I also had an upper get hot and push oil out of the front seal (same side, different drive). I wonder if this could be related and all due to poor shifting. How much wear on the cam is normal? I've always been told to adjust to a good positive "clunk" into gear. But, I've had a tough time getting this sometimes... seems like some drives just shift differently and/or my hynautics need purging. I'm trying to learn and maybe prevent some future problems. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:52 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Misadjustment is real problem with shifting. If the gouges in the shift fork are not too bad, (picture?) I have reused them. Sand the spot smooth and give it a try. It is easy to replace them vers other parts.
You can get an adjustment tool (proper way) or what I do with cable system is to remove the cable from the pivot pin and slide the cable back and forth till you find the detent in the middle. Align the barrel nut so it slides back into the holder without adjusting the cable position. Now you need to check the depth of the movement. If the fork is worn on one side then the center ajustment may fix it. But if it is worn on both sides the movement is too deep. You want it to go into gear but not hold the fork against the brass ring..
Hope this helps..

If you want to discuss this, give me a call.. be glad to help..

Dick
616-403-1006 cell
Old 02-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My adjustment tools have traveled around quite a bit if you want to borrow them or I have a rough drawing if you want to make some. rogue2800 (at) hotmail dot com