what surface drive to choose ? >

what surface drive to choose ?

Notices

what surface drive to choose ?

Old 02-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default what surface drive to choose ?

We have a customer with a 1994 Cigarette 46,its rigged with 3 x 575 Hawk supercharged engines and bravo 1 drives.
The owner want us to install 3 x 480 hp Cummins diesels QSB 5,9 L.

What would be the best surface drive too choose ?

We have looked at a triple pulsedrive unit ,we called them for some info and our purpose,and send a few E mails for a price quote ,but received nothing .......

We liked that unit because the Cig has a flat transom ,and with those rudders I assumed the boat would steer great when docking,and the propellors are somewhat protected when backing up in the marina.

They said however when using a triple set up ,the center engine would wear much faster ,and speed would not ,or a little faster than with twin engines and a twin pulsedrive unit ,
is this true ?

If you guys have any ideas about this ,please let me now ,I like to hear real world experience .

We would love to see this big Cig going 85 mph ,or are we dreaming ?

A.J
Old 02-04-2008, 04:04 PM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stirling
We have a customer with a 1994 Cigarette 46,its rigged with 3 x 575 Hawk supercharged engines and bravo 1 drives.

We have looked at a triple pulsedrive unit ,we called them for some info and our purpose,and send a few E mails for a price quote ,but received nothing .......

We liked that unit because the Cig has a flat transom ,and with those rudders I assumed the boat would steer great when docking,and the propellors are somewhat protected when backing up in the marina.

They said however when using a triple set up ,the center engine would wear much faster ,and speed would not ,or a little faster than with twin engines and a twin pulsedrive unit ,
is this true ?

If you guys have any ideas about this ,please let me now ,I like to hear real world experience .

A.J

when that dream com out I wanna standing next to you !!
Old 02-04-2008, 06:25 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Call Rik @ Arneson.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stirling

is this true ?

A.J
dont use pulse first the conpany closed, you are not going to park the boat to any marina especialy if there is a litle air, you are going to have a lot of water inside the boat after 4-6 hours use from the seals or you must try to up and down untill center the axis in the seals. you have no steering in low speed. the only thing is good no promblem with power and the last difficult to find or change propelers
use trimax, arneson and topsystem from italy
i have 3 years pulse in a cig 46 and a cig 41
Attached Thumbnails what surface drive to choose ?-dscn0225.jpg   what surface drive to choose ?-dscn0220.jpg   what surface drive to choose ?-dscn0221.jpg  

Old 02-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This, QSB 480 and Arneson ASD8, are factory packaged with Fountain and many other boat manufacturers around the world.

Simple and easy.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stirling,

I installed a pulsedrive on my 32' twin engine boat in 2004. I'm going back to bravo's because the hull has WAY too much stern lift and there is little I could do to overcome it. If my boat were a Cig Bullet, Mistress or Cafe Racer I would still have the pulsedrive on it today. There are many positives to the pulsedrive and few negatives in a twin engine application. It really is that good.

That being said, my business is driveline dynamics. I have done analysis work on Arneson systems (among others) for nearly twenty years. If you are serious about a surface drive solution on your boat, the Arneson is a very good alternative.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

On my 07 4300 Nortech I had the Yanmar 480's hooked up to the ASD-8's..great package. Love the ASD-8's...about as trouble free as it comes.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:34 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

So basically your all saying ,Arneson is the best for our 46 Cigarette ,do you guys have an idea about the performance with twin ,or triple cummins 480 with arnesons ?

Frequency,

I have a Scarab Viper 31 ,do you think you want to sell me the pulsedrive unit ,and will the Viper be a good boat for that drive ?
I think the Viper does not need much bow lift ,it actually has a pad running surface ,and is build very light .

thanks guys for input

stirling
Old 02-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Arneson is simple, inexpensive, reliable, proven, needs no special hull modifications, available, accepts a wide range of propellers, is well known, is accepted in the market place and adds value to a boat over these one off brands made in someones garage.

So yes, the Arneson is the best choice.