Notices

TRS to SSM3 or 3a

Old 07-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 151 Likes on 18 Posts

chris... a couple of more questions for ya; 1. im running 17X29 props now and it seems a bit under proped, im turning 5300 rpm loaded down at gps 88 mph. any suggestions prop wise under the current configuration to get a few more mph?? 2. which would be a smarter move; to increase the hp to get the few mph i lose on a 6 conversion or buy the way more expensive dry sump? talked to 14 apache the other day and he said hes getting 102 on gps with wet sumps and around the same hp. i dont think he has a full cabin like mine so there is a huge weight difference but i would like to see steady 92-95 on gps if possible. oh and i didnt know you owned an apache which one you own?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every Apache is different- and there are dramatic weight variations among seemingly identical boats. His boat- the old Star Chaser, is one of the lighter race hulls with full stagger. HUGE difference. Maybe several thousand pounds.

I'm not sure what engines you're running but 5300 isn't an efficient max rpm for a big inch motor. Maybe for 632's. I think you can get more bang for your buck on motor power. Dry sumps are for squeezing those last couple MPH out.

As far as your props- since you're over-pitched maybe labbing them- but that's going to sacrifice some durability. If you go to the #6, suck it up and buy a set of Herings. It only hurts the one time when you write the check but it's free mph every time you use the boat.

Mine is an all white side-by-side pleasure. It's actually my second and my 4th Apache. I had a 28 and another 41 as well as a 36 that I traded on this 41. I started the 6 conversion then got busy with other things, then decided what I really wanted was a race hull, so my motivation to pour $$ into it that I wouldn't see back kinda waned. Then the market tanked.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

chris... what do you think about 5's for my boat
Old 07-26-2008, 01:08 PM

If you're breaking 3's, you'll break 5's. Same drive as the a, just shorter- typically used on extension boxes. More or less a surface drive-outdrive. Similar in dimension to the 6, but with the componentry of the 3.

Swapping to the #6 drive will definitely add value to your boat. Plus it will give youmuch greater room for growth- inevitably you'll want 600+cid with PSI blowers- and the 6 will accommodate you.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

i appreciate the advise chris
Old 07-27-2008, 01:10 PM

Take some deep breaths and calm down.

The 3, 4 and 5 share the same basic architecture but suit different purposes. Sure there are a few different part numbes unique to each but for the purposes we're discussing here, none of that is the slightest bit relevant. None will cure his issue of breaking parts- but 6's will.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:21 PM

I'm aware that the internals on the A are larger, but the 3A only had a 100 hp up in horsepower rating. I've destroyed several with my old 41 with 900 a side, so I'm not sure what's inside your friends but 1200 in a heavy boat is atypical. 1200 a side in a heavy boat will push a #6 past it's limits. Obviously if you are inside the drives regularly (and with 1200 hp regularly would be like 20-25 hrs) then your life expectancy does go up.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Big job- basically a re-rig. The X dimension on TRS boats is almost always too deep for the prop advancements since they were discontinued- and the III is longer.

There's only one common-sense approach- the Konrad. It's power handling is 50 hp more than the III and 50 less than the IIIa, but you can use XR props on it. It's a tad shorter than the TRS so that cures the X issues. And it's a direct, no BS bolt-on.
BINGO............5yrs racing and poker runs on the same drives....they are incredible.....

Quick Reply: TRS to SSM3 or 3a

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.