Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
How do I get the Drive ram pin out? >

How do I get the Drive ram pin out?

Notices

How do I get the Drive ram pin out?

Old 03-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get the Drive ram pin out?

I have no idea what it's correct name is, but I need to get the big rod at the end of the drive where the hyd rams bolt to, out.
It is well and truely stuck in there, and it looks like it isn't supposed to come out. Problem I have is that it's the older model Bravo 1 drive with the non adjustable trim ram end limit so there is no oval hole, just the rod in a round hole that is well and truely stuck.

I have tried a hammer. Now the threads are damaged, but they were stripped anyway so any other ideas would be helpful. Is there something else I need to remove first??

I have the drive off the boat, I just need to replace the front pin / rod thing.

Any help is always appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails How do I get the Drive ram pin out?-dsc01255.jpg  
Old 03-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cut the treaded part off flush with the bar stock. Get a good size Bosch Hammer, use a blunt end bit and buzz it out.
Oh yes, it's true!

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 03-09-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Registered

Lay the drive on its side and spray PB Blaster on it then again in a couple of hours it should tap out.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:57 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Looks like it seized from dissimilar metal corrosion. Try all of the above. Maybe an air hammer as well.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Registered

Thanks lads, I'll give all of it a go and let you know.

I've got a replacement pin so I don't care how this one winds up! I'm going to replace the other end while I'm at it as well, but apparently it has circlips on it so I'll pull them off first before I lay into it with a mallet!

By the way, I'm going to wreck the paint job, what's the best paint to use to re-spray the drive? What primer do I use as well?

Thanks again, you lot are life savers!!

Cheers,
John
Old 03-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've had anchor pins stuck like that before, they are not fun to get out. Heat it up, lube it, beat the piss out of it. It's the only way I know!
Old 03-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Instead of pushing the pin out why not try pulling the pin through the housing...put a bunch of spacers on the other side and tighten an exisitng nut down on the spacers...
even if you are trying to smack it out..this preload will help you lossen the pin...
Old 03-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Another thing I've found works is getting a pipe wrench or good vise- grip on it and try twisting it loose. No matter what you do at this point, you will most likely end up hurting the pin to get it out.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Registered

Are these supposed to be difficult to get out? When I tried to install a tie bar, I had a b!tch of a time getting the rams off and trying to move the pin. Then once I got that far, I realized I had the wrong hats....
Old 03-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cut the pin flush and drill a 7/16 inch hole in the center as deep as you can. Then drive it out with a drift pin in the hole. PB Blaster or Kroil works well Good luck ,Paul

Quick Reply: How do I get the Drive ram pin out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.