HELP!!! Bravo Drives... >

HELP!!! Bravo Drives...

Notices

HELP!!! Bravo Drives...

Old 08-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dick,

Thanks for the advise. I have seen your name referenced here many times in other posts during this quest for knowledge. It was referenced that you rebuild drives (sometimes with a micrometer), very impressive. To be honest I would like to get into a nicer drive, used or rebuilt, that could handle more power. The 502 has such potential. 750 is what the procharger ppl claim to make with it stock. I would supercharge after a proper rebuild. So maybe closer to winter as I don't want to be out of the water that long. I will probably rebuild it myself as I enjoy taking my time and saving the $. Never messed with outdrives though. The term "craps shoot" bothers me as I would rather get reliability for a little bit more and as I had read the XR was a good drive. I have been finding them reasonably priced. Insurance will be paying for this one so maybe I'll chip in a little and get something nicer if I do the work myself. I suppose I will know more when the numbers come out. I am however stuck with the fundamental question of weather or not to enter the rabbit hole... as I am beginning to understand that this one is rather expensive to navigate.

If I choose to:
Will I need a HP transom @650-750hp or not? I know I may have to replace a bearing to make the stock B3 one work... easier that a new one (and about 2$k less).

I will upgrade steering when I do the engine and I have K planes now.

Thanks to everyone helping out...I am young and very new at this. All input is appreciated!!

(Edited to ask what you have done to that checkmate)

Last edited by onelightmind; 08-05-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a kit available to upgrade a regular transom assy to the HP.. new helmet and gimbal.. Also pieces available from Imco that are even more Heavy Duty. But Merc lowered the prices on the HP transom assy and they were going pretty cheap this last spring.

I am in the process (between drive work) of building a 572" Procharged motor so I can tax my drive and see what will or will not live. The drive I have now I built around 2000 and it has old XR gears in it (meaning they weren't built in the last 2-3yrs) and I have 300+ hours on the upper gear set with approximately 700-750hp NA. I expect the gears to die soon. But they live on because I have no motor in the boat at present. I have a new drive ready to go on the boat as soon as I see metal on the magets or the new motor kills this drive. I am curious to see how long a new set lives compared to my well used set. I should be able to make enough power to break what ever I put back there. If I find I cant get the XR gears to live, I will go to the SCX, which has larger gears.. They have not had any gear failures todate with the SCX. That was when I talked to them last week or so. Every day I hear more about teeth falling off the XR gears. They break right at the root of the tooth.. where as in previous years they would flake and then break. Now no flaking.. just breaking.

Glad to help you out.. the more you know before you spend the better the spend will be!!

Dick
Old 08-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

300 hrs on an xr with the power i am looking for ... I would be happy with that. I found an old post for an scx selling used for $7500 but supposedly you needed a new transom??? or thats what they said... will it work on the b3 transom?? What do those conversion kits cost for the HP transom? Found the entire thing on ebay for $2K bu don't want to do it until I pull the motor down the road? Or can I use the same back plate from the B3? Same holes if I do the switch? Thanks

Edited to ask if speedmasters would bolt up (may be a stupid question) Found several used... thinking no but had to ask...

Last edited by onelightmind; 08-05-2009 at 11:07 PM.