HELP!!! Bravo Drives... >

HELP!!! Bravo Drives...

Notices

HELP!!! Bravo Drives...

Old 08-02-2009, 02:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Bravo Drives...

I purchased a 96 Donzi 27ZX 500hrs on the engine and drive... well maintained. Boatig today and heard loud "Clunk" drive is stuck idling shift lever position is no longer "linked" to forward or reverse or rather position has no effect on drive being stuck plus very loud clanking sound coming from drive.... Think I blew it up... It is a Bravo 3 May have hit something may have been the hrs.... boat is in slip will pickup tomorrow...

With that being said I have been wanting to get a nicer motor or supercharge the 502 I have but wonder about the limitations of the Bravo 3... I would be happy with about 750HP. I have been told to upgrade to an XR... what do any of you think??? Fix the bravo 3 or upgrade?? Who can rebuild the B3 inexpensively if I can take it off and put it on? the props spin normally so I think it may be the upper??? Still early in the diagnostic part ;-) Will te XR fit in place of the B3??

Mercrusier says the XR is rated for 575hp is this an understatement... sorry for all the questions. I am truly a noob... all help is greatly appreciated. Keep in mind the goal IS about 750hp eventually.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:16 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

In my opinion, if the damage to you B3 is not too severe, just fix it and get some seat time with the lower HP levels. If you truly are new at this, it would be extremely dangerous to make that much power in that size boat. Also, keep in mind that its not just about stuffing a more powerful engine in the bilge. You need many things to go with it. First and most important... hydraulic steering and an hp gimbal. Then good tabs, HP mounts, a good fuel system, a good oiling system, etc... the list is endless.
In answer to your question.. Although I would not recommend it,with 750 hp, your B3 can live for a while, if you treat it well. But, it would be better to just get an XR or an Imco SC. Drive life relies hugely on who and how it is set up. So, just by having an XR doesnt mean it isbullet proof.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:18 AM
Registered

Well I did hit a stump or floating log by the looks of the props and lower unit. Have brown streaks all over bent props... insurance should cover it. Kiekhaefer trim tabs. Wanted to upgrade the steering if I replaced the drive... hmmm. Lots to think about. I suppose I will figure it out when I look at the repair bill. 57mph is the best it'll do now...It just doesn't seem fast enough when I have the feeling to open it up.

Thanks for the info...

Last edited by onelightmind; 08-03-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Do you want to boat or wrench??? I thought I wanted all that power also. Now I replace drives every other weekend. Be careful what you wish for.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:30 AM
Registered

Well thats why its important to me to select the correct drive early on...I don't mind greasing it up the first time around and doing it up right but every few months or less would suck. Looking to make high power with reliability.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:12 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think there is such a thing! Is there?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Registered

If you want a fast boat, buy a fast boat.......period!!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Registered

And remember, pick two of the following three:

1. Fast
2. Cheap
3. Reliable

You only get two choices, so choose wisely.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:44 AM
Registered

Expensive hobby for sure... steep learning(spending) curve for the high HP upgrades. But hell I'm 29 I figure I can take it one step at a time. I have spoken with ppl who are reliably running xr's with drive showers and procharged 502's making ~750hp what do you guys think? afterall
I am only going on others advice...
Old 08-05-2009, 04:55 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One,
The XR upper gears are having a problem with teeth snapping off the driven gear, so unless you get a good gear set... It used to be you could run 750hp and take it easy. Now a days it is a crap shoot. If you want power and reliablity.. try the Imco SCX drive. But it is more money.. You get what you pay for.
The B3 is limited to speed by the design of the bullet. It was designed to get a boat on plane quick and easy. Speed is not in the equation.
One step at a time, sometimes costs more.. Unless you have a plan with an end goal. Of course, it helps to have someone else that has gone your route and proved your plan.

Dick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.