Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
trs out drive blowing oil out breather?? >

trs out drive blowing oil out breather??

Notices

trs out drive blowing oil out breather??

Old 08-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trs out drive blowing oil out breather??

Around 4500rpm my rt (starboard) drive is blowing oil out and down my inner transom?
Thanks in advance for any HELP!!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Registered

Had something similar happening last year. Can you tell if its coming out of the breather or is it coming out of the dipstick? We put a nipple on the breather and moved it up a little bit and we always put electrical tape (we use gray, it doesn't leave a residue like black) around the dipstick to hold it down and so far haven't had any issues this year. It was the first time out that it did it, I'm thinking it was just overfilled from the previous owner, so make sure that isn't the case.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to check the gear lube in your drive for water.Something is obviously pushing lube back up into the reservoir.Be sure dipstick reads where it should before going out and when it leaks check the dipstick and see if the level has increased.You may have a small crack on the lead edge of your drive or drive may need to be resealed.If you let it sit for a few days the water will all go too the bottom in the drive.When you remove the drain water will come out first if there is any in there.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Registered

Jim the gear lube is reading @ the bottom of the dipstick but i dont want to add any more since it blowing out. I just had the drives off for fresh paint (put a new seal between gimbal housing and drive) All new fluids etc. maybe have 1hr. since done. I have not seen any drive oil leaking ?? If it was cracked do you think it would leak. Oil is staying the green color and does not appear milky
Old 08-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 35CAFE
Jim the gear lube is reading @ the bottom of the dipstick but i dont want to add any more since it blowing out. I just had the drives off for fresh paint (put a new seal between gimbal housing and drive) All new fluids etc. maybe have 1hr. since done. I have not seen any drive oil leaking ?? If it was cracked do you think it would leak. Oil is staying the green color and does not appear milky
You would think you would see it leak but that might depend on how big of a crack it is IF THERE IS ONE.I had a small crack in the nose of a drive and when you would run it would force water in to the bottom of the drive which would make the fluid level rise in the reservoir.You would have to have it on a trailer to get a good look at it.Beings you just had it off for paint you would think it would have been seen then.Those reservoirs are made up of a cover with the dipstick tube made into it then it's screwed to the transom plate with 8 screws to form the reservoir.There is a gasket between them,are you sure that's not where it's leaking from ? Have you ever pulled the dipstick after running and confirmed the level is way high ? Mine never rises in the reservoir and is just on the end of the dipstick.Full mark is only about a 1/4" up. Here is a picture of how that reservoir is made.http://www.perfprotech.com/store/ass....aspx#assembly
Old 08-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Registered

I took a close look at mine today and all I could tell is that the dipstick tube is much higher than the breather and it has a o-ring to seal it.So it's going to come out the breather first as you said it was doing. All I can recommend is to run it and check it frequently. Especially if you see it is coming out the breather again.If the reservoir is filling that high to make it overflow from the breather then somehow the fluids in the drive are increasing and all it could be is water. If it does it again then I would recommend you pull the drain plug for a second to see if water comes out. If you ever add gear lube always check it a couple hours later.It takes a long time for that 90 weight to flow into the drive from the reservoir through the small hose connecting them.The full mark on the dipstick is the same height as the top vent plug on the outdrive.

Last edited by picklenjim; 08-17-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Registered

Jim i talked to a shop thats known for fixing trs drives today and as soon as i told him what it was doing he said the upper unit bearings are going out and this was my good luck warning before it gernads!! He said it heats up the fluids so much thats the only place for it to go out.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Registered

this was a common problem with the trs drive back in the 80's. If you dont find any water or other problems with seals just put a 4 inch nipple between res. and vent to raise the vent up. this should solve the problem.
OK, have the bearings checked too.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Registered

I'll have to make a note of that in the back of my TRS manual. It's one of those things if it happens to me a year from now I'll be asking myself now what was that that caused that problem. I see your from St. Louis,I live in St. Charles. I run on the Mississippi pool 26. http://www.whatsupontheriver.com/