Bravo I Steering Play >

Bravo I Steering Play

Notices

Bravo I Steering Play

Old 09-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Worn Gimbal Ring and probably worn steering pin - Transom Assemblies are NOT CHEAP.

www.jrmarine.com - this guy has the solution, and will fix your existing ring and sell a new NICE stainless swivel pin.

He also has a method for getting the ring and pin out without pulling the engines but die grinding the back of the assembly out and re-tapping - he sells the plate, the taps, the bolts, etc.....

I had to get this far into my boat last spring and I just decided it was easier to pull the engines - I think I made the right decision. While you are doing it be damn sure to replace EVERYTHING new, bellows, bushings, seals, gimbal bearing (put it in backwards) so that the next time something fails it is someone else's problem; the piece of mind is priceless.

Gotta love the fact that there is always a cheaper way to do it, and give kudos to guys figuring out how to get more life out a set of parts.

I have a soft spot in my heart for guys that do this kind of stuff remembering not so fondly when I was a kid trying to keep motocross bikes and snowmobiles running with absolutely NO money. Stuff like "flipping" a set of sprockets to wear in the other direction on my dirt bike to get more life out of them and because I was always broke, when re-ringing a CR-125 and heating a copper head gasket over the stove and dipping it in water to keep it soft and help it seal. That said- some things should just be replaced.

If you really don't have any money I suppose this works ok providing you've got a really good baseline product.

If you've got some money Id just get new parts,
-and if you really want the new stuff to last - add external steering.

(fading memory) I'm thinking last time I did this it was about 2700 for parts and labor, but I remember some talk about New old stock etc.- but I could be way off. Maybe Ill go pull an old invoice.....

Uncle Dave
Old 09-28-2009, 10:10 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have complete, used HP gimbles, fresh water, low hour, all tight for $1600 each plus shipping.