Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Arneson or SCX (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/217768-arneson-scx.html)

DonRoc 09-29-2009 09:54 PM

Arneson or SCX

I am doing some engine mods on my 2005 Kryptonite over the winter 1000hp plus. I am torn between upgrading my SC extreme upper for a SCX or going with an Arneson. Looks like the Arneson will cost me an additional 12K or so. I would hope for the 12K I would get better reliability and some more speed. Anyone do a Arneson on a smaller V hull? Mine is a 27 with a platform its called a 29.

Don
Glen Harbor Marina

DMOORE 09-29-2009 10:40 PM

1000HP.............. Arneson all the way.

Darrell.

Philm 09-30-2009 12:49 AM

I would personally go with Arneson, or maybe a dry sump #6 like the Slim Shady Activator.

Arneson would be a lot lighter and probably faster, but I havent seen a Kryptonite with that setup before, so it will be a big job to dial it in.

Jassman 09-30-2009 08:49 AM

Arneson

http://www.arneson-industries.com/ Get with Rik

DonRoc 09-30-2009 06:45 PM

I talked a litle with Rik. I just wonder how it will handle with the Arneson.
Phil, i should work up some prices on the #6 @ cost it may not be so bad. I would hate to go with the Arneson and then be stuck being a test pilot all summer trying to get it set up. I hear there might be fiberglass work to the bottom necessary and testing to get it dialed in. I wish I knew more about the Arneson.... expecially with a single engine smaller V..

Philm 10-01-2009 01:14 AM

You will most likely have to fill in the notch in order to fit the Arneson.
There is a small Donzi that I just saw on here recently with a single arneson. A while back there was a bigger single vee, 28-30' range, that had an arneson, but the guy never responded back when people asked how it worked out.

I am not saying that the arneson is a bad idea, it will just take a TON of dialing in. Once you get it set up right, you will be in the money. As I am sure you know, surface props are a totally different ballgame, usually requiring a bunch of different test props. They do have a setup where you can use a standard Bravo style prop, which may not be a bad idea.

I say go for it with the Arneson, who knows, maybe Rik will work with you a little on the price considering you are going to a test dummy.

DonRoc 10-01-2009 10:54 AM

Phil,
Maybe I will call Rik today. I really want to get my propshaft higher. I think I am going to ditch the ITS and put the drive closer to the transom. That will get it higher in the water, same effect, or go with the Arneson.....

johnlomant 10-01-2009 12:01 PM

I have a scx with no problem and know people running 1100 plus without failure to date. Be careful with the arneson to make sure a surface prop will work well with your hull. I have heard some people have setup problems when converting with x demension and proping correctly. I am not saying anything bad about the drive because they are really nice just do your reseach before you make your choice.
John

DonRoc 10-01-2009 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by johnlomant (Post 2964281)
I have a scx with no problem and know people running 1100 plus without failure to date. Be careful with the arneson to make sure a surface prop will work well with your hull. I have heard some people have setup problems when converting with x demension and proping correctly. I am not saying anything bad about the drive because they are really nice just do your reseach before you make your choice.
John

Thats my whole problem. Where to find the research.... I hear good from everyone using the Arnesons, and they are strong. Then I hear about setup... Somewhere the truth must lie, but where to find it out without spending 20K.
I talked to Rik today, he is confident it would be a good fit, and after talking with him and looking at the drawings am confident it will be a day job hooking it up. But then I will have to hope it handles good... Its an expensive leap of faith. But I do like to be different. Maybe Rik will loan me the drive and if it works I can give him the $$$, and if it does not I can send the drive back, lol
Guess I will finish the motor and then worry about the drive.

Philm 10-02-2009 02:05 AM

Have you decided on a motor build yet?

It will certainly be a serious roll of the dice, but selling it if it doesnt work out shouldnt be too big of an issue. You may lose a little money on it, but you never know, it could work out great.

Are you planning on using Rik's Bravo conversion, or just getting a complete new setup and redoing the transom (again)?

DonRoc 10-02-2009 10:58 AM

If I go with the Arneson I will use the bravo conversion with a
ASD7M. Its still some glass work but nothing I cant handle.
I am pretty sure I am going to go with a 557ci, AFR heads, solid rollor 6500 rpm, 8.3-8.5 compression, DFI and a Procharger M5SC (being a procharger dealer I think its the best way to go, was thinking whipple 5L, but pretty sure the Procharger and DFI will be the ticket, nothing like EFI) Plus I will not have to cut a hole in the motor cover. The 2002 with the whipple needed a hole cut. He's 104MPH the dyno sheet says about 900hp so I am sure to get 1000hp plus and expect 110-115MPH. If I decied tio keep and freshen my motor then I will go with a dart tall deck and more cubes.
I may be pulling the motor after tomorrows run its called the "Last Blast" should be fun. Im skipping out from work for the day.
Don
Glen Harbor Marina

johnlomant 10-02-2009 11:56 AM

with only 1000hp I would run the scx for ease of installation

26 REDLINE 10-02-2009 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by DonRoc (Post 2964934)
If I go with the Arneson I will use the bravo conversion with a
ASD7M. Its still some glass work but nothing I cant handle.
I am pretty sure I am going to go with a 557ci, AFR heads, solid rollor 6500 rpm, 8.3-8.5 compression, DFI and a Procharger M5SC (being a procharger dealer I think its the best way to go, was thinking whipple 5L, but pretty sure the Procharger and DFI will be the ticket, nothing like EFI) Plus I will not have to cut a hole in the motor cover. The 2002 with the whipple needed a hole cut. He's 104MPH the dyno sheet says about 900hp so I am sure to get 1000hp plus and expect 110-115MPH. If I decied tio keep and freshen my motor then I will go with a dart tall deck and more cubes.
I may be pulling the motor after tomorrows run its called the "Last Blast" should be fun. Im skipping out from work for the day.
Don
Glen Harbor Marina

Do Like John says, do the SCX, all that has to be done is a helmet change, if you do the Arneson Bravo conversion, IMO you are in for a tone of R&D and only to end up with the same reliablity of the SCX...MAYBE:angry-smiley-038:

http://www.arneson-industries.com/pa...ducts&id=asd7m

The SCX is rated for up to 900hp, and you already no what your boat likes with the Bravo style...good luck and keep us posted:drink:

DonRoc 10-02-2009 01:57 PM

The other issue is my prop shaft. The SCX will only allow a -2 lower, I have a -3 and already reglasssed the trans so I am less than 1/2" from the swim platform, I cant go any higher there. Going back down will adversely effect my handling. I would go with the SCX but maybe they will come up with an upper that will accommodate the -3 lower.
I see the Torque recommendations on the 7M, Rik said 1000hp is not a problem? Plus I should gain some free speed with the Arneson. Granted Rik is trying to sell a product, he said its a bolt on with a little glass work which I am more than capable of doing. he will get me on track with a prop. What R&D are you talking about? I hear this a lot. I don't want to put this think on then have a terrible handling boat.. Many unknowns.
I am still not convinced of what way to go. If the SCX would mate with a -3 it would make my decission easier.
Thanks,
Don
Glen Harbor Marina

Philm 10-02-2009 02:51 PM

It sounds like a good plan to me Don.

I have personally seen 102mph in this boat with an N/A JC motor that dynoed just under 800hp.

John (Lightspeed) ran a best of 106mph with this boat when it was new.

I am thinking that 1000+hp will get you over 115mph, especially with a well set up Arneson.

Jassman 10-02-2009 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by DonRoc (Post 2965086)
The other issue is my prop shaft. The SCX will only allow a -2 lower, I have a -3 and already reglasssed the trans so I am less than 1/2" from the swim platform, I cant go any higher there. Going back down will adversely effect my handling. I would go with the SCX but maybe they will come up with an upper that will accommodate the -3 lower.
I see the Torque recommendations on the 7M, Rik said 1000hp is not a problem? Plus I should gain some free speed with the Arneson. Granted Rik is trying to sell a product, he said its a bolt on with a little glass work which I am more than capable of doing. he will get me on track with a prop. What R&D are you talking about? I hear this a lot. I don't want to put this think on then have a terrible handling boat.. Many unknowns.
I am still not convinced of what way to go. If the SCX would mate with a -3 it would make my decission easier.
Thanks,
Don
Glen Harbor Marina

The Arnesons are the real deal...they work..and will handle way more power than any bravo drive. Ive been on 4 Arneson boats in which Ive driven 3..and owned one. Hands down my favorite. Simplistic in design, reduced drag, increased speeds, easy to work on, and in-expensive in comparison. Boating is suppose to be fun, why worry about breaking down.. Jeff

DonRoc 10-02-2009 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 2965150)
The Arnesons are the real deal...they work..and will handle way more power than any bravo drive. Ive been on 4 Arneson boats in which Ive driven 3..and owned one. Hands down my favorite. Simplistic in design, reduced drag, increased speeds, easy to work on, and in-expensive in comparison. Boating is suppose to be fun, why worry about breaking down.. Jeff

Jeff,
Are any of them single V bottoms with an Arneson? People are saying they are hard to set up to run safe @ high speed. I hear lots of R&D.

Thanks,
Don
Glen Harbor Marina

B.A. 10-02-2009 11:28 PM

arneson

Im sure there are me and several others would like to see the results of the arneson drive set up that have single engine v bottoms that being me also because in future I want to get a 28twin step pantera with close to same power range and blower setup sleeper style (what you cant see wont hurt you until you get bitten by it). I really would like to know how it turns out if you go that route with arneson drive. I honestly would use the asd8 with the new coan two speed tranny since I will be building it with new hull but in your case you cant easily do that with out alot of work

Jassman 10-03-2009 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by DonRoc (Post 2965309)
Jeff,
Are any of them single V bottoms with an Arneson? People are saying they are hard to set up to run safe @ high speed. I hear lots of R&D.

Thanks,
Don
Glen Harbor Marina

Don, no they weren't. They were 2 Hustlers 33, and 38.. both ASD-6's, and 2 Nor-Techs, ASD-8's. There is a 28 Active Thunder that has done what you are talking about, single application, I'll try and get some info from the A.T. factory on what had to be done, if any additional R&D vs a bravo boat. From talking with Rik, its a direct bolt up, uses the same holes. Blades when trimmed are to be 3/4" above the running surface. Also on you tube I found this. Jeff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ24znRbjNc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3F2q5hlubw

aTX427 10-03-2009 07:53 PM

Avery boat I have ever heard of was faster with a Arneson.

StephenA 10-04-2009 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 2965150)

Exactly. There are enough things to worry about in performance boating. With Arnesons, you basically forget about the drives. They do not break. I have never heard of anyone breaking an Arneson. In fact, there are stories of a guy local to me that ran his big cat for a short period of time with no oil in the drives ( by mistake ) with no issues.

DonRoc 10-04-2009 12:23 PM

I am comfortable with the Arnesons as far as durability and speed increase. My only reservation is how are they going to handle @ 110+ in a light single V bottom? Seems like I might be going into slightly uncharted territory....

Jassman 10-07-2009 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by DonRoc (Post 2966078)
I am comfortable with the Arnesons as far as durability and speed increase. My only reservation is how are they going to handle @ 110+ in a light single V bottom? Seems like I might be going into slightly uncharted territory....

Im still trying to get all the facts for you..

DonRoc 10-07-2009 08:23 PM

I am hearing some people took off ther arnesons due to handling issues they could not resolve. Let me know when you get some facts on a smaller light V.
Jeff,
Thanks for lookig into it for me.

alfons 10-07-2009 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by DonRoc (Post 2968698)
I am hearing some people took off ther arnesons due to handling issues they could not resolve. Let me know when you get some facts on a smaller light V.
Jeff,

A friend of mine tried a arneson on a Bat 28 (Vector in the us) He was running ssm v before .but to many drives went fishing so he got fed up with the ssm v. However he tried so many things with the Arneson and LOT of different props ! And i can say he is not running it any more ! The boat was not fun to drive in high speeds ! It "overplaned" what ever he tried ! And he is a very experienced racedriver with like 30+ years of offshoreracing in sweden .I think your boat are to small for a Arneson-setup.

DonRoc 10-07-2009 11:43 PM

I am hearing that alot. but you are the first to post it. Thanks. The arneson sounds great on paper but the risk is too high. I really would love to give it a try. But so far not one person with a light single has come forward with a sucess story. I have all winter to decied but looks like it will be an SCX. Maybe by then they will have a -3 SCX

Rik 10-08-2009 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by alfons (Post 2968751)
A friend of mine tried a arneson on a Bat 28 (Vector in the us) He was running ssm v before .but to many drives went fishing so he got fed up with the ssm v. However he tried so many things with the Arneson and LOT of different props ! And i can say he is not running it any more ! The boat was not fun to drive in high speeds ! It "overplaned" what ever he tried ! And he is a very experienced racedriver with like 30+ years of offshoreracing in sweden .I think your boat are to small for a Arneson-setup.

Alfons, you have neglected to mention that when Christopher blew his Mercury he landed on the rocks damaging the bottom. Subsequent repairs did not put the bottom back to it's "Original" state as the boat does not perform with a Mercury either now as he has even put a standoff box on the #6 on a 28' boat and still needs bow lift. But you are right, it was all the Arnesons fault not the bottom repair.:eek:

Jassman 10-08-2009 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by DonRoc (Post 2968698)
Jeff,

talked with a few people... besides Pat and Rik. boat was running 83mph with approx 620hp on a Ford motor. appr. 80 hours to date. No handling issues.. and three you tube videos out there that I could find. As to the weight, this 28 is a larger, deep all running surface 28' boat, she's also very stable and heavy. Good Luck. Jeff

alfons 10-09-2009 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 2969096)
Alfons, you have neglected to mention that when Christopher blew his Mercury he landed on the rocks damaging the bottom. Subsequent repairs did not put the bottom back to it's "Original" state as the boat does not perform with a Mercury either now as he has even put a standoff box on the #6 on a 28' boat and still needs bow lift. But you are right, it was all the Arnesons fault not the bottom repair.:eek:

The damage to the hull wasnt that big ! I was there !! Dont get me wrong here Rik ! I think Arneson an other surface drives are great ! But with a small stephull like the Bat you have almost a fixed runningangle tru the water ! And therefore i think the Arn. lift the stern to much. The drive isnt the problem the boat is to short !!:kiss: Now when Christer is driving with double ext. box The boat runs great in a straight line , But in turn it looks scaary ! The best drive for the bat is the volvo DPX-r Its like driving on tarmac with slicks ! sorry little oftopic there !

alfons 10-09-2009 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by DonRoc (Post 2968839)
I am hearing that alot. but you are the first to post it. Thanks. The arneson sounds great on paper but the risk is too high. I really would love to give it a try. But so far not one person with a light single has come forward with a sucess story. I have all winter to decied but looks like it will be an SCX. Maybe by then they will have a -3 SCX

How about this one !!! I wanna try !http://www.xpowerdrive.com/frame_index.html

Rik 10-09-2009 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by alfons (Post 2969613)
The damage to the hull wasnt that big ! I was there !! Dont get me wrong here Rik ! I think Arneson an other surface drives are great ! But with a small stephull like the Bat you have almost a fixed runningangle tru the water ! And therefore i think the Arn. lift the stern to much. The drive isnt the problem the boat is to short !!:kiss: Now when Christer is driving with double ext. box The boat runs great in a straight line , But in turn it looks scaary ! The best drive for the bat is the volvo DPX-r Its like driving on tarmac with slicks ! sorry little oftopic there !

Christer does not push it in the turns or on the straights. Remember, he's to old to get beat up he says:D

The boats bottom is not the same. Ocke would not advise him to do anything to it and it needed a tune up. I've seen the photos and the boat runs nose down. This is why he added all that weight to the rear and he extended it so far. Poor balance or terrible bottom??? 28' V is to small for a drive that heavy and long without a reason. The DPX will never hold up nor go over 100 like he wants so that is out.:eek:

Deda22 01-14-2020 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by DonRoc (Post 2963267)
I am doing some engine mods on my 2005 Kryptonite over the winter 1000hp plus. I am torn between upgrading my SC extreme upper for a SCX or going with an Arneson. Looks like the Arneson will cost me an additional 12K or so. I would hope for the 12K I would get better reliability and some more speed. Anyone do a Arneson on a smaller V hull? Mine is a 27 with a platform its called a 29.

Don
Glen Harbor Marina

i know this is a 10 year old post but did you ever come to a conclusion Don? I’m in the same exact position with a 27 Kryptonite upgrading from a XR drive

Boatally Insane 01-14-2020 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Deda22 (Post 4721768)
i know this is a 10 year old post but did you ever come to a conclusion Don? I’m in the same exact position with a 27 Kryptonite upgrading from a XR drive

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...need-help.html

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2229...5406113548618/

hogie roll 01-30-2020 11:12 AM

Multiple activators over 120 with SCX. Why do a science experiment with an ASD?

endeavour32 02-14-2020 09:04 PM

I have a full Arneson ASD-8/ SCS package. Any parts from the drop box can be bought right now from SCS. Any parts for the ASD-8s can be bought from twin-disc. You can completely avoid the difficultly of getting parts from Arneson, yet still have Arneson drives. If you are interested, I have them for sale in the classifieds. They are way cheaper than a set of SCX drives and much stronger.

Jorge marquez 05-10-2020 07:35 AM

Rik si a thief i had a demand ok jim and Tereza ! Bd carefull ! They sutil me.1millio

he is a thief i have a demand on him and carmen! You now where May lawyers can find them they stoll me 1 millón dlrs
QUOTE=Rik;2969809]Christer does not push it in the turns or on the straights. Remember, he's to old to get beat up he says:D

The boats bottom is not the same. Ocke would not advise him to do anything to it and it needed a tune up. I've seen the photos and the boat runs nose down. This is why he added all that weight to the rear and he extended it so far. Poor balance or terrible bottom??? 28' V is to small for a drive that heavy and long without a reason. The DPX will never hold up nor go over 100 like he wants so that is out.:eek:[/QUOTE]

Jorge marquez 05-10-2020 07:36 AM

Rik is a thief

the law is trying to catch him ! He stoll me 1 million dlrs

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 2969809)
Christer does not push it in the turns or on the straights. Remember, he's to old to get beat up he says:D

The boats bottom is not the same. Ocke would not advise him to do anything to it and it needed a tune up. I've seen the photos and the boat runs nose down. This is why he added all that weight to the rear and he extended it so far. Poor balance or terrible bottom??? 28' V is to small for a drive that heavy and long without a reason. The DPX will never hold up nor go over 100 like he wants so that is out.:eek:

sutphen 30 05-10-2020 08:04 AM

well if true,,thats disheartening.Rik always treated me and my friends more than right.

Unlimited jd 05-10-2020 08:44 AM

Amazing how people that can’t spell have a million dollars to be stolen in the first place

hoodoo 05-10-2020 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd (Post 4738163)
Amazing how people that can’t spell have a million dollars to be stolen in the first place

not that unusual in south Fl