Notices

Coupler question

Old 10-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Coupler question

How do you know when to replace the coupler? I haven't had any issues, but I'll be pulling the engine this winter and wondering if it's time?? It would be an easy fix while the engine is out, but then again would it be a waste of money? Thanks!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the splines. If they are tapered and come to a point (like a chisel) they are worn. If the taper on the splines have a flat edge you are good to go. Also inspect the input shafts for the same. Inspect the rubber dampener that the spline hub is in for any deteration also.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What engine? Most new mercs have the race coupler. I know the older motors had alot weaker coupler. I've seen them go out with less than 150 hours because of neglect.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

The key is to keep grease on the couple. I grease mine once a year when I winterize. I use Amsoil syn marine, Merc spline grease is good also. A dry spline will wear very quick. I have 500 hrs on mine, still working fine.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redbud35
What engine? Most new mercs have the race coupler. I know the older motors had alot weaker coupler. I've seen them go out with less than 150 hours because of neglect.
Not to get off topic but I think I saw you at the Kaskaskia a couple of weeks ago. On a Saturday the day it rained half the day. I have the 236 Baja, be sure to stop if you see me tied up in Evansville.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea we were there. We spent the day in New Athens waiting it out. I had the boat home for a few weeks.