Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
IMCO or Latham steering? >

IMCO or Latham steering?

Notices

IMCO or Latham steering?

Old 03-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Cable steering always has slop and play in it. Safety issues aside, if you want to run faster on any given HP you need to remove that slop and play. Once you have hydraulic steering in a boat, you will likely NEVER want anything less.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for the info ZXXX Donzi. So twin ram would be overkill for a max 75 mph boat? I guess my inexperienced thinking is that two will keep the outdrive planted more securely than one. I have had boats all my life, but never one faster than 54 mph so this is new territory for me.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by russellhorn
Hey thanks for the info ZXXX Donzi. So twin ram would be overkill for a max 75 mph boat? I guess my inexperienced thinking is that two will keep the outdrive planted more securely than one. I have had boats all my life, but never one faster than 54 mph so this is new territory for me.
Yes, that will be fine. It all depends on where you want to end up.

The good thing about the Hardin / Mayfair system is that you can do it in stages. You can do the add on and then change it to full later. I happened to have one laying around from a prior later. I fully planned to do that with my X-18 but have not yet seen the need go with a hydraulic helm and that is coming from a guy with a full system on my other boat.

Now be careful if you are a type that may end up with a 85 mph boat one day. You will want a twin ram full system for that and it is more costly to go from a single ram assist to a twin ram full system.

Good luck and enjoy that boat.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
Now be careful if you are a type that may end up with a 85 mph boat one day. You will want a twin ram full system for that and it is more costly to go from a single ram assist to a twin ram full system.
Good point. There is no telling where this will end up.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts
Thumbs up

I agree that a single will be fine for your application, I thought you were just set on getting dual ram. I thought maybe you had an inside track or deal on it. Single is fine.

Like many have said, it is a great upgrade and once you have it, you will never go back. Sounds like you are putting together a nice project. Take some pictures of the install to help others!
Old 03-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Gold Member

Thanks everyone. I will install the single since the other can be added if needed. I will take plenty of pics and plan on some video as well.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Registered

I would appreciate experienced comments. I have a 2008 Baja 26 OL with the Bravo 1X drive (1.65) and am making power upgrades to the 496 HO. My plan is go with the dual ram steering for safety and to keep the outdrive as stabile as possible. Also, I would like to know that if I end up with the XR drive later that it would work with it as well. Thanks!
Are you planning on full hyd. to the helm? I am also adding this this season but only due to the addition of an extension box. I chose IMCO.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Gold Member

For now I am thinking a partial system. Seems like a good way to start since the rest can be added later. I will be very interested in the results of your extension box.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Registered

For now I am thinking a partial system. Seems like a good way to start since the rest can be added later. I will be very interested in the results of your extension box.
My feelings also. I will start a thread with the before and after numbers in the Baja section when I have them.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hydraulic steering in addition to the safety factor greatly increases the life of the gimble ring by stabilizing it, and helping to cushion it from the blow of the waves and re-entry.

If you have a hot single that runs 80+ I believe you will double the life of the gimble by adding hydraulic steering to it.

Not sure how much wear you have now?

Go grab the bottom of the skeg and lift up hard- measure the play and see.

Oh and Imco, or a Mercury ITS if you have extra money that needs a home. Nothing wrong with Latham, ive just gotten excellent service and value out of all my imco parts.

Uncle Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.