IMCO or Latham steering? >

IMCO or Latham steering?

Notices

IMCO or Latham steering?

Old 03-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMCO or Latham steering?

I would appreciate experienced comments. I have a 2008 Baja 26 OL with the Bravo 1X drive (1.65) and am making power upgrades to the 496 HO. My plan is go with the dual ram steering for safety and to keep the outdrive as stabile as possible. Also, I would like to know that if I end up with the XR drive later that it would work with it as well. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:45 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I recommend Imco steering and it will fit on the next Bravo drive.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

If you need pricing on IMCO or Latham, PM or email me.
302-521-0123

The Best Parts & Service At The Best Price
Old 03-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Gold Member

Thanks guys!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I am not sure you need to spend the cash on the steering system unless you are talking stupid power but just my .02
Old 03-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Hydraulic steering is recommended for anyboat that runs 65+, especially a single. Keeps everything tracking great, good piece of mind and safe
Old 03-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Well maybe, but who recommends it? I know the steering company do, because they want to sell steering kits. Maybe it’s me, but I have never seen a steering cable break and there are a lot of boats out there running with cable driven steering. Like I said unless you are going nuts on power and in the 80+ mph range it is a little over kill. I am not saying don’t do it, I am just pointing out that the 4k for the kit might be applied other places. Again just my .02
Old 03-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

Both are good points IMO. In this case I think the money will be well spent for two reasons. First the steering seems to have a small amount of play in it. I am not sure if that translates to the drive under power or not, but the peace of mind will be worth it to me. Second I plan on keeping this boat for a while (has 20 hours on it now) so over the long term the money will not be as big of a deal. I plan to keep the power to around 600 hp for now and see how the outdrive does. I expect the boat to be around the 70 mark...may have to blueprint the hull and work with x deminsion, but one way or another its going to get there. lol There is always the option for more power, but right now I am mostly concerned with the outdrive. Thank you for your input.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baja_brian
Well maybe, but who recommends it? I know the steering company do, because they want to sell steering kits. Maybe it’s me, but I have never seen a steering cable break and there are a lot of boats out there running with cable driven steering. Like I said unless you are going nuts on power and in the 80+ mph range it is a little over kill. I am not saying don’t do it, I am just pointing out that the 4k for the kit might be applied other places. Again just my .02
I do and I don't sell them. So do most that have purchased them. I have dozens of friends that have made the transition in a single and they never look back.

I have owned a number of single engine boats from 55 mph all the way to 103 mph. I have owned that 58 mph 28' boat that was still stable at 70 after more power. I still say it is a nice improvement to add steering.

You don't need a $4k system on a 70mph Baja. A single ram add on will work fine. Around $1,400 from Hardin. That is what I use on my Donzi X-18 that runs 72 mph. And yes, it makes a HUGE difference in the way the boat handles. No, I would not worry much on a 65 mph boat.

I run IMCO full hydraulic twin ram on my 26ZX and it will break 100. I recommend twin ram on anything 80 and up.

Do cables break? Not often but they do. I have hit the water at 60+. It sucked but I lived. I would not want to do it at 80 though.

Yes, I know of single engine boats that have run 130 with a single ram and I am sure it is fine. When you spend that kind of money there is no reason to skimp on that extra grand.

IMCO vs Latham? They both make great products. That is only a matter of personal preference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.