TRS drive water leak through bellows

Like Tree0Likes

TRS drive water leak through bellows

Old 03-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered
VIP Member

My Boat: 2005 353 Fastech w/525's

Originally Posted by CMG223 View Post
Thanks yea I knew it was bad in the fall and put it on my spring list. Can I pull this bearing with a slide hammer like I would for a Bravo gimbal or is **** going to fall out when I pull it. I think I read there is a snap ring too but I'm not home to take a better look.
Thanks
I've never replaced it in the boat, but I'm fairly certain you can. There is a snap ring, but once removed the bearing isn't hard to pull out.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:29 PM

there is two bearings one gimble and one tailstock outer yo[u can do in the boat but if the inner bearing is bad I believe the motor has to come out well thats how I had to do it..maybe im wrong.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boat: 91 Cig Cafe

Is the bellow replacement covered in the TRS manual? Want to make sure we do it correctly. Definately would like some instructions instead of just guessing on what needs to be done.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Registered

My Boat: 83' Nordic 23' Viking 505 BBC TRS Drive

There is no gimble bearing in a TRS drive.
Yes bellows replacement is covered in the TRS service manual #5. Do you have this manual?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boat: 91 Cig Cafe

Originally Posted by picklenjim View Post
There is no gimble bearing in a TRS drive.
Yes bellows replacement is covered in the TRS service manual #5. Do you have this manual?
thanks, yes i found the pdf.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Registered

My Boat: 1980 scarab S-type

Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
I have a leak in my bellow also. I also have a tranny slipping. When I pulled the engine and transmission the tranny was FULL of water. I think mine was leaking past the bearing and the seals some how and filling up my transmission. I pressure tested my tranny cooler and had no leaks. Getting ready to tear down the tranny and will be in need of parts.
I ran into a similar problem with mine this weekend. Hauled out and noticed a small oil leak in the driveway...Found a hole in my bellows The rubber felt very spongie and I was convinced I puked a drive...I was relieved when 3qts of clean green fluid drained out. Pulled the drive and the bellows was full of water/tranny fluid. Drained my tranny and it had some water in it but only pulled out 2 qts (merctrans). I suspect I have been leaking ATF out the real seal and that compromised the bellows...and the water in the tranny got sucked in on the last boat ride....I might have caught it in time to save the tranny...It wasen't slipping yet. I still need to pressure test the cooler to be sure. Debateing pulling the engine to change rear seal.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Registered

My Boat: 83' Nordic 23' Viking 505 BBC TRS Drive

If your sure there was tranny fluid in the bellows than you really should change the rear seal. That seal is NLA from Merc but you can get them elsewhere cheap. I think their about 8 bucks. I have a couple of them. If you need the seal number let me know.