Gimbal Housing Question >

Gimbal Housing Question

Notices

Gimbal Housing Question

Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gimbal Housing Question

I need to pull the small bushing for the upper swivel shaft in the gimbal housing. The shop manual (4B-22) indicates a Snap On tool but I checked and it's about $400 plus. Anyone ever done this with more primitive tools?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Long all- thread running from top to bottom pivot holes, grind a thick washer till it is just a hair smaller than the OD of the new bushing so that it will clear the bore, yet large enough to grab teh bushing and pull it out???? May even be able to install teh new bush using same setup. Not sure if this will work as haven't really looked close at that bushing and seal area.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Registered

I'm getting ready to do this myself, and here is my plan:

Locate an all thread slightly larger than the ID of the bushing. Then grind it on four sides to make one end look like a screw thread tap.

Using two nuts jammed together on the opposite end, screw the 'tap' end into the bushing. Remove nuts, and put on a heavy fender washer and nut. Tighten nut & washer against the lower part of the swivel shaft bore (where the large bushing is), pulling the bushing out.

Will be trying it tomorrow, so I'll post the results here. In the meantime, if anybody has a better idea, please post.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Registered

That sounds logical. I posted the same question on the Bayliner owners site and I found a guy who used a dremmel to remove his. He ground a slit on the opposite side of the one in the original and said it poped out easy then.