Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Imco SC no forward gear >

Imco SC no forward gear

Notices

Imco SC no forward gear

Old 08-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, mine wasnt that bad, just the usual deep pitting on the drive gear. I dont want to get to the point of spitting teeth off and destroying everything inside. Replacing one drive gear and the pinion gear is enough for me.

I woudl love to bolt on an SCX and be done with it, but dont have $10k to throw around right now.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Bummer!

I was pretty sure it grenaded, but didn't want to be the bearer of such sucky news.

Chris
Old 08-11-2010, 06:04 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
Nobody making a better set of gears? Whats the point of a heavier SC housing if it's the same XR gears? Drained the oil in the other drive that we put a used set of gears in and the magnet had the usual fur on it. I can see that this is going to be an ongoing problem.
I agree with this statement. We all know that Imco uses standard XR gears in their SC drives. In my opinion there are 2 main issues with SC and XR uppers. #1 First and and foremost, Mercury has been making some real bad gears. The older gear sets used to get some decent life expectancy. These new gears, you will be lucky if they hold together at all. The lowers, dont seem to be a huge problem. They seem to hold up well. #2.. Most of us, myself included, are overstepping the design of these gears. Mercury never intended for them to be behind 700, 800 ++ horspeower.
Myself, I got tired of eating uppers, so I switched to an SCX upper, SC lower. So far, no issues.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:01 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Well the SCX's are the plan but not in the near future. Just have to keep my fist from hammering on the throttles for awhile. Maybe end of next season for the SCX's. I need to regear the lowers to 1:36's this winter so they'll be fresh.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Registered

I would love to go with an SCX upper, but just cant throw that kind of money around after this year. Engine rebuild, drive rebuild, work issues, you name it.

Maybe i will budget it in for next year.