Bravo to Arneson Conversions

Notices

Bravo to Arneson Conversions

Old 11-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
I agree and I disagree.

First, I agree you have a superior product and wish so many others ordering and buying new boats would also see the light... especially since I want to see them in the used market! Merc just seems to have a serious strong hold on the new/package market and sadly I dont see that changing unless someone like yourself can come in much lower.

And this is where I disagree (regarding you saying you're cheaper). The reality is the vast bulk of your potential market is in the USED sector. Folks wanting more power and speed, but are limited to the POS bravo platform. When these guys need to upgrade or pop a bravo, the clear options become a new/used bravo based drive, an aftermarket bravo based HP drive, or your drives.

When you look at these alternatives to replace a used/broken drive, your conversion drive is BY FAR the most expensive installed/running option... by a significant margin. With that said, it's probably the BEST option if price is not figured in. When you look at $50k+ for a typical twin conversion, you can buy a lot of used bravos for that about!

So I have to agree with UD above. If you could make this complete conversion to be close to even money compared to a new HP bravo upgrade, I think you'd sell the living sh!t out of these things!

Just my 2 cents.
Amen! When it comes to upgrades, no one would buy bravo's anymore if we could afford the Arnesons. Financing $50,000+ for twins is not going to happen with 99.99% or more of us boaters. A lot of us boaters had to get 20 year loans to get our $60,000-$120,000 boats in the first place. And a lot of us need Arnesons. We can't get 20 year loans for $50,000+ upgrades for our twins. Try to get a personal 5 year loan on $50,000. The interest and cost would be crazy. If we could upgrade our twins to Arnesons at the same cost as buying a new car, we would do it. And I'm not talking about a Corvette. Also, you get getter interest rates on cars. We have no good financial options to buy Arnesons.

Last edited by UrbanDisturbance; 11-17-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One other thing about this type of conversion is not knowing the outcome of the finished product. It scares the hell out of me to think if i was to do a upgrade like this and my boat ran slower, porpoised, did not get on plane. What then after all that money was spent. That scares me more than the money. So if someone already did it n a perticular boat thats fine but if you are the first, thats scary.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

^^^ I`ll gladly be the guinea pig for a single with a blown motor (at a reduced cost.). I keep breaking bravos like its going out of business
Old 11-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
BTW, if you dont think there is incredible interest in this conversion, just look at the number of hits on this thread in only a few days vs all the others in this sub forum!

Like I said, make the conversion affordable, and you'll sell the hell out of them.

One other thing, if you started selling a ton of them in the used/aftermarket, it wouldn't take long before the OEM's would follow suite.
If I could make it for less I would but barring going to China (which will not happen) or someone making a transmission that cost less than $4K or the metal prices dropping along with the energy cost and the labor rates it just is not possible.

The kit includes a lot and when you add up all these parts it adds up. I could price/sell it with less items but those items will still need to be there in the end and everyone would gripe "you still need X, Y & Z" and you have to add this in. So on the front side or the back side there is a lot in the kits.

From an OEM level it is less expensive by far and then throw in the warranty and the performance gains starts to look like one hell of a bargain in comparison. If one prices a complete (now this is one area which people are confused as an outdrive leg is not a complete drive unit) Bravo with all the upgrades and such they cost more than the Arnesons and no one seems to realize this.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there anywhere to get Remanned/Refurbed ASD's
Old 11-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by baywatch
???? Used Arnesons are a hard find, or at least used drives that you can use for your application are hard to find. If they are not the correct ones then what good are they.. No Arneson/Borg-Warner 1720's, no inline drives will work.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by baywatch
There's a reason why you never see any used ones!!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
There's a reason why you never see any used ones!!
Yeah, unless you are jumping up to a different sized asd for more power.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

so is it my understanding that most boats with a notch would need to have the notched filled to some degree, because the box has to be installed lower on the transom to get the correct prop height? I have a 42 fountain with steps and like most newer boats has a notch so the Arneson would not be a direct bolt on without having work done to the bottom ? So it sounds like the Arneson drive is approx $20grand plus installation, what is the approximate $$s for a BMAX?
Old 11-18-2010, 02:41 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by later
so is it my understanding that most boats with a notch would need to have the notched filled to some degree, because the box has to be installed lower on the transom to get the correct prop height? I have a 42 fountain with steps and like most newer boats has a notch so the Arneson would not be a direct bolt on without having work done to the bottom ? So it sounds like the Arneson drive is approx $20grand plus installation, what is the approximate $$s for a BMAX?
Incorrect... On the side by side installation the notch is not an issue. On a stagger, (depending upon the dimensions and centerline) a small filler panel would be required for the "box" area only.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.