Bravo outdrive slop >

Bravo outdrive slop

Notices

Bravo outdrive slop

Old 03-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Have someone move the drive left to right and back and look inside the boat and watch the steering system while moving the drive. I know the wheel doesn't move but does the steering ram move?? Sounds like a steering system issue. If the upper gimbal pin were worn out I believe that you would get up and down movement as well as side to side. When you say you can't move the drive up and down can you elaborate? The trim/tilt rams hold the drive from moving vertically but if the gimbal is worn you should get movement around the upper pin when lifting up on the skeg, a knocking sound or visual movement.

You don't need to go boating anymore until the steering is fixed.
+1

Mine had the slop, and they put some huge looking allen bolts to the left and right of the upper pivot, it's a factory kit that replaces the worn parts. First time to do it is a big job, but next time around not a big deal.

How fast is your boat??

You may want to consider full hydraulic (dual ram I assume)
Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can lift my drive up, and see where the slop in the gimble pin is.

Who is the best place to get parts from?

EDIT.

SO i can pull the motor, or cut open the out side of the drive to get tot he top bolt, then send off bimble for a replacement....

i think pulling the motor looks easier haha.

Last edited by mittens; 05-31-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daveintexas
Okay so i had some steering issues lately that i posted, 496HO w/Bravo X on a 2006 Adavantage 28 sport cat. I was very low on PS fluid, bilge had PS fluid in the bottom, leaked somewhere but could not find the leak. Added fluid, so far no fluid loss and i have been out boating several times and have no idea where or why the fluid leaked out. Steering still has some slop. 1" in steering wheel without it "catching" to turn outdrive. Wife turned the wheel while i watched in the bilge.Steering ram did not extend until wife turned steering wheel about 1" and then it caught.

You can move the outdrive by hand left and right several inches without the steering wheel moving. You cannot move the outdrive up or down at all.When I am driving the boat it feels loose especially when trimmed up and when i am driving fast I must keep wheel turned 1/2 turn to the left to keep it straight and when I suddenly de-celerate it wants to turn right

112 hours...had the boat 2 years with no steering issues till now. Can a gimbal get worn out so fast? If so do you replace just the bearing or the whole shebang?

So, what do you think..are there any bolts that I can tighten or check...heard not to tighten gimbal bolts but have to ask anyway? Pics are great if you have them.

Where the steering cable comes into the steering arm assembly it is threaded. Can i tighten that connection to see if the steering wheel slop goes away?

Is there such thing as having "air" in the line from such low PS fluid and then adding some that will give me any issues?

Last thing..if I add a single ram I assume I should get this issue fixed first...just asking to make sure I dont have to do anything unnecessary $$$$.

Thanks for your input. Dave

Call Jim www.mobilemercman.com Lives right down the road in Jonestown. He can get you on the right track.