Notices

gear lube

Old 06-10-2011, 03:49 PM
MrB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torco stuff

I spoke with a guy at Desert Storm and he said with Torco stuff they have to change every 10 hours . Then spoke to a guy who has a commercial boat uses the NEO 75W90 and runs 1000hspwr diesal eng and gets 120 hrs with not wear and prior to that was using the amsoil/lucas mix and only getting 40-50 hours seeing some wear. John at The Bravo Shop is going to do some service on a Crown line with Bravo 1 for me and I'm putting in the NEO 75W90MRHD for me.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

My 5 gallons of NEO showed up last wek, I will be giving it a shot this summer, hope it is as good as claimed, thanks Jason/John / Bravo shop
Old 06-12-2011, 07:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

Same here. Got mine last week, going in shortly.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 47EXCALIBUR
if you want the drive gears to last longer ie,,, pitting and cracks to stop... we run Amsoil 75/90 severe gear with a blend of Lucas engine treatment,,,this will stop the premature failures of gears especialy XR gears... i ran one drive with Merc HP gear lube and the other with Amsoil/Lucas mix to test and see the results. both Bravos with new gears, fresh rebuilds,, at the end of the season 50hrs about,,, i took both drives apart.... the drive with the Merc gear oil needed new gears (pitting wear marks) the Amsoil/Lucas drive did not need new gears ,, no sign of wear..... most of the outdrive shops/vendors repackage this combination and resell it as their own "special" blend....... mix one quart of Lucas with 4 quarts of Amsoil 75/90 severe gear
What is the name of the Lucas Engine oil treatment?
Thanks,
Dean
Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
What is the name of the Lucas Engine oil treatment?
Thanks,
Dean
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...id=25&loc=show
Old 06-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Registered

Everyone has their opion when it comes to oil.
Especially when they are selling a brand.
No company has done more testing of gear oils than Mercury.
Been associated with them for over 45 some years, I can speak for that. Have never had a drive of any type fail because of oil. It's all on how you set your gears in relation to HP. After over 15 world championships of Drives that I have personally built, I can justify to that. It's the first thing people put the blame to when a drive fails.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John the Drive Man
Everyone has their opion when it comes to oil.
Especially when they are selling a brand.
No company has done more testing of gear oils than Mercury.
Been associated with them for over 45 some years, I can speak for that. Have never had a drive of any type fail because of oil. It's all on how you set your gears in relation to HP. After over 15 world championships of Drives that I have personally built, I can justify to that. It's the first thing people put the blame to when a drive fails.
John,

Have you ever used or would recommend and additive to the Mercury HP Gear Oil? This would not be for a racing application just something that might make the Gear Oil better.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered

It all depends on what Brand of oil you are selling, in what is the best. It's all an opinion, period.
Never have I had a drive fail because of oil, if I'm using the right product. Mercury has more test time on oil when it comes to out drives and outboard lowers than anyone in the industry. In all my 45 years with the Mercury Outdrives, have I had a drive failure because of oil. And I have 15 World Titles under my belt. It's not about just oil, it's how the gears and bearings are set according to the HP. Gear setting is the most important. No matter what. But everyone out there tends to always blame the oil first. I guess that's the easy way out.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no mater what if you over load a drive gear above what it was designed to do it will loose its boundary lubrication.Pushing the oil to mechanical shear, thinning oil to the point of causing metal to metal=brineling.

Thats why the make larger gears.

Yea im sure some gear lubes have more ep molecules than others.

also look a STP oil treatment,the money they made selling a treatment,advertising/promoting a product thats better than all the rest,theres a new oil company selling something new every month.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Registered
VIP Member

slick 50

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
no mater what if you over load a drive gear above what it was designed to do it will loose its boundary lubrication.Pushing the oil to mechanical shear, thinning oil to the point of causing metal to metal=brineling.

Thats why the make larger gears.

Yea im sure some gear lubes have more ep molecules than others.

also look a STP oil treatment,the money they made selling a treatment,advertising/promoting a product thats better than all the rest,theres a new oil company selling something new every month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.