Notices

Bravo Drive

Old 04-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo Drive

Hi Guys I have a bravo x3 drive that I just found a broken tooth on the lower gear of the upper case. I would like to know if I can change these gears to a XR gear set or do I have to put the X3 gear set back in. Also is this a big job. I was thinking of doing it myself. I am a mechanic and not afriad of doing the work, just not sure If it pays with the special tools and manual I would have to buy for this one time job.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes, the XR gears will fit right in an X drive. Not a big job, and the tools needed will depend on how old your drive is.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Registered

I'm a budget minded boater, and like to do as many things myself as possible. My '06 Bravo 1 is not currently in need of anything, but who knows what the future will bring. When the time comes, I would like to be prepared. What are the "special tools" a guy needs to change out the gears in an outdrive, roughly what it the cost of them, and where would a guy pick them up? The manual, I'm sure, would need to come direct from Merc., right?
Old 04-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Registered

You can download the merc service manuals for free off the internet..and they will list any special tools you will need.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:30 AM
sandman
Gold Member

I bought all the tools to rebuild bravos and have had to rebuild both my lower units so far. Money well spent as the labor would have cost me 3x what I spent on tools. 50 hours and still smooth as silk.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:33 AM
sandman
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Randy
Hi Guys I have a bravo x3 drive that I just found a broken tooth on the lower gear of the upper case. I would like to know if I can change these gears to a XR gear set or do I have to put the X3 gear set back in. Also is this a big job. I was thinking of doing it myself. I am a mechanic and not afriad of doing the work, just not sure If it pays with the special tools and manual I would have to buy for this one time job.
If you keep your boat long enough, it will NEVER be a "one time job"
Old 04-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Registered

XR gears are Junk .....