Notices

Looking for clues

Old 04-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for clues

I installed a 2" Imco shortie on a XR upper, Both have approx 50-75 hrs on them. Yesterday first day out with new set-up, All was going well, all day And then heading back to marina I felt a "thud" It felt like i hit a log. a few minutes later still at idle speed i felt it two more times back to back. I went into neutral and back into gear and all seems normal. when pulled out I inspected outdrive and prop all looked normal.spun freely. What could that have been? fresh oil change day before. im thinking about taking it out today and runnin it but not sure if that is such a good idea.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by pacalim1965@yaho
I installed a 2" Imco shortie on a XR upper, Both have approx 50-75 hrs on them. Yesterday first day out with new set-up, All was going well, all day And then heading back to marina I felt a "thud" It felt like i hit a log. a few minutes later still at idle speed i felt it two more times back to back. I went into neutral and back into gear and all seems normal. when pulled out I inspected outdrive and prop all looked normal.spun freely. What could that have been? fresh oil change day before. im thinking about taking it out today and runnin it but not sure if that is such a good idea.
pull the top cap and inspect the gears for missing teeth, xr's are common for upper gear sets..
Old 04-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Registered

More Bravo Bullshi* junk...........*uckin china could build a better drive. They are basically disposable. steel tower, cryoed gears, thicker floors, bla bla bla bullshi* Its all Bravo JUNK.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Registered

I put a teague platinum xr on my cat last year all is good so far. they are rated for 900HP i believe, not sure what they are rated for but BMAX i have heard good things about. Could'nt hurt to call and ask good luck. What kind of gear lube were you using, just wondering
Old 04-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Registered

I use Amsoil in motor and Royal Purple in out drive. I would like to find something that will hold together. I don't feel like its that tall of an order, light weight boat. I have been through this before and have learned to respect my drive. I think the Pro Charger is the cause, but im very easy on take off and acceleration.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Registered

You may want to consider a pop-off releif valve between the throttle body and the Procharger. I have found the Procharger's hate closing the throttle quickly, example, properly throttling the boat in rough water. If your not completely closing the throttle blades the engine will be making alot of power on re-entry, hard on drives. I've found if you properly throttle a Progharger engine it will stumble and cough when you pull the throttles back quickly. You really have to look ahead and throttle ahead, to slowly work the throttle in rough water, but bring the throttle fully closed until re-entry. The relief valve is refenced to the plenum, after the throttle body, and opens on manifold vacuum. Hopes this helps.