Notices

Imco SCX Set Up

Old 05-24-2011, 05:45 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Imco SCX Set Up

I finally got to test some with the SCX on Sunday. It took forever to get here because of one thing or another. I was able to find SCX's used with 1.5 lowers. I will note that all SCX lowers are -2( save the new SCX that they appear to be releasing which will be -4) I was also fortunate to find some SCT lowers with #6 shafts thanks to Sonny Spectre.
Mr. Gadgets was able to hook me up with gimble rings, helmets and new shift cables and lots of good advice. Imco switched the SCT vertical shafts for SCX shafts.
My set up originally was Imco extension boxes and XR drives with 1.5" spacers on standard length lowers. 1.36 ratio. The propshaft was pretty deep for a cat. It was .5" above the bottom. The props I used last year were Maximus standard large diameter 34's. These props were a good fit but did not load the engine really at all. I would need to go to the 1.1 gears to use them. The props worked well with good overall handling and brutal accerleration.
I put the bravo prop lowers on first with the Maximus props on. No spacers. This is 3.5" up from my set up from DCB. My guess was that it would not come on plane. It planed very nicely and handled about the same. I could tell that drag was reduced greatly. My GPS speedo was doing crazy things, first wouldn't work then started wouln't change speed, etc.. figures when you really need it. Lake Cumberland still had a fair amount of drift and I didn't run it hard.
Pulled the boat out and swithched to the #6 lowers and put on some Merc. Racing forged 16.5" x 40" x 18 rake props. I expected to maybe have some issues going in and out of gear with that much load. The SCX's shifted in and out of gear silky smooth and Eddies efi kept them from dying. All and all dock friendly. The boat came on plane nicely without using the tab. Would stay on plane very well. Still accerlerated well. Hop was worse at 80, had to use significant tab to eliminate it. The lake was completely smooth though. Might need some smaller diameter props.

All in all I was very impressed with the SCX, there new sizing to -4 should allow them to be used on a wide variety of boats. I think after looking these drives will need to be set up much like NXT's do as far as drive height. Thanks to Sonny, Dick, and John O. for their advice.
Attached Thumbnails Imco SCX Set Up-imcoscxbravorear.jpg   Imco SCX Set Up-imcoscx-6side.jpg   Imco SCX Set Up-imcoscx-6rear.jpg  

Last edited by SkiDoc; 05-24-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear that you got to run it and all seemed to be as or better than expected!! I am sure with some setup time, it will get better!
Glad I could be of help.. keep us posted on how it goes. And thanks for the update!!
I still have not gotten to my motor and will have setup after it is finished.. but it is next on the list!!!

Dick
PS, Pics are awesome!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Great Thread!

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Glad to hear that you got to run it and all seemed to be as or better than expected!! I am sure with some setup time, it will get better!
Glad I could be of help.. keep us posted on how it goes. And thanks for the update!!
I still have not gotten to my motor and will have setup after it is finished.. but it is next on the list!!!

Dick
PS, Pics are awesome!!!
I recently purchased a 32 B skater with Imco SC's and 525's. I have been watching the SCX threads to see if I want them. Please keep us posted!
Thanks
Steve
Old 05-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks for the info and the awesome pics!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Registered

Another photo of the bravo lowers from side. Shot of propeller shaft height. Measurement is not accurate due to trim angle being negative. I plan to sell the SCX lowers and props and commit to the #6's.
Attached Thumbnails Imco SCX Set Up-imcoscxbravoside.jpg   Imco SCX Set Up-scxxdimensionrearruler.jpg  

Last edited by SkiDoc; 05-26-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Registered

Here's a shot of the original set up of the DCB. Prop depth at the bottom of boat or slightly lower. 3.5" higher.
Attached Thumbnails Imco SCX Set Up-dcbdrives.jpg  
Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Registered

Here's some photos Sonny shared with me on his Spectre. Running this high with bravo props can lead to thrown blades. Hering made him a set to fit the SCX 1 7/16" prop shaft.
Attached Thumbnails Imco SCX Set Up-scxsonnybann6.jpg   Imco SCX Set Up-scxsonnybann3.jpg  
Old 05-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems the Number 6 props on the smaller cats have really increased hop speed range and amplitude. Is this what you are encountering?
Thansk
Steve
Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Registered

Steve,
I would say yes to this at this point. My tunnel tab is able to take it away. I'm going to try some 16 x 40 x 21 props which should remove some of it. Sonny is using herings which are cleavers with good charcteristics.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what ratio are the scx lowers, maybe I asked before I dont remember,and why again did you go with the sct instead of using the scx big shafts ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.