Why don't you see more konrads? >

Why don't you see more konrads?

Notices

Why don't you see more konrads?

Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why don't you see more konrads?

I'm curious why don't you see more konrads used? People say they will handle 800hp no problem, but you don't see much talk of them on here. Any reason why?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think in most cases they cost more than the boat is worth they would be going on. Also they require a transmission where people would rather use a drive that didn't when possible.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Registered

Good point about the transmission.

Interesting that you say that about the cost. It didn't seem that bad to me.

The reason I asked is I'm looking at a new to me boat that has a busted DPX drive. The lower is shot. The motor has way to much hp/tq for that drive or any bravo drive for that matter. So I can try and track down a used DPX unit and pay out the wazoo for it since they aren't made anymore. Plus it'll likely break soon with the power anyways, so that's just stupid to try and run that. It kind of leaves me looking at throwing on an adapter plate and looking at a the options that will hold 850hp.

An SC/SCX combo was $28K for everything I'll need

An Arneson is $23K but not been ran on this hull and I don't wanna be the guinea pig

The Konrad is $15K for everything I'll need to swap over. At least that's what Konrad quoted me for a 540 when I talked to them.

I hear the BMAX may be questionable at that HP/TQ range.

So the cost being more than the cost of the boat kind of leaves me scratching my head.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by Tigeman
Good point about the transmission.

Interesting that you say that about the cost. It didn't seem that bad to me.

The reason I asked is I'm looking at a new to me boat that has a busted DPX drive. The lower is shot. The motor has way to much hp/tq for that drive or any bravo drive for that matter. So I can try and track down a used DPX unit and pay out the wazoo for it since they aren't made anymore. Plus it'll likely break soon with the power anyways, so that's just stupid to try and run that. It kind of leaves me looking at throwing on an adapter plate and looking at a the options that will hold 850hp.

An SC/SCX combo was $28K for everything I'll need

An Arneson is $23K but not been ran on this hull and I don't wanna be the guinea pig

The Konrad is $15K for everything I'll need to swap over. At least that's what Konrad quoted me for a 540 when I talked to them.

I hear the BMAX may be questionable at that HP/TQ range.

So the cost being more than the cost of the boat kind of leaves me scratching my head.
did he have a dps b or dpx r? reason asking is that is a strong drive..the dpx a is stronger then the 3. theirs one on craigs list..
http://mohave.craigslist.org/boa/2412989876.html
Old 06-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Registered

Quess I should have made myself more clear about price compaired to the boat. I was refering to the Konrad for the TRS replacement. The TRS was made from '73-'93 so most TRS boats made in that time just aren't worth putting a 14K+ drive on.

If I'm not mistaken those adapter plates are only good for a Alpha or Bravo. You would probably have transom work necessary to put in a Konrad transom assembly. Then there is also the transmission issue. You would need to move the engine forward about a foot and a transmission to handle that power along with everything to set it up, bellhousing,starter,cooler wouldn't be cheap.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:16 AM
Registered

Mr fix all, yes it is a strong drive... Just not 800 HP strong. LoL. But it wasn't the torque that destroyed this one, it was rocks. It was an A. I've seen that A and it's a smokin deal, but in the end I'd still be replacing drives over and over.

Jim,
Now that makes more sense, LOL.
The adapter plate was directly from Konrad and would be built just for this application. They were including a bell housing for me at that cost as well. Now that price did not include a tranny but they did say they would provide one. Doesn't Konrad offer an extension box that houses the tranny on the back of the boat so you don't have to move everything forward? Either way I've already considered just about everything involved.

Original question still stands though guys? Transmission issue the only reason?

Last edited by Tigeman; 06-08-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tigerman fix the DPX ..rocks will rip off all the others too... or in your case get a jetboat, then yoŽ'll sink it
If I had a DPX/R I wouldn't look back even with 1000+hp.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Max Worx Drive

Give the guys at Max Worx Machine a call. They have a pretty stout drive. Ask them for their HP/Torque limits.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Registered

Be sure you have it clear with them exactly what you get for 15K. When I said bellhousing I was talking about the engine bellhousing. If they told you bellhousing they were probably talking about the bellhousing the drive bolts to. I know for the TRS conversion you get the drive and bell housing for 14K+. You use your exisiting TRS transom assembly and trim cylinders. You are going to need the complete transom assembly with trim cylinders and inner transom plate. I know them conversion plates for Volvo to Alpha/Bravo go for about $1000. Transmission probably 3-4K. Just saying be sure you know exactly what your getting for 15K. I would think it would end up being well over 20K before your done.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of boat and power do you have?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.