Notices

Speedmaster 5s

Old 07-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
mild thunder, you find the right props for your boat???? werent you messing with them in the spring??
Idk about the right props, but do now have some 17x29 four blades, and 16.5x28 five blades. 5 blades plane great, and cruise great, but too much stern lift
Old 07-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by verbi69
Now that would be awesome!!
According to Rik, that is the ballpark figure when switching from Bravos.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff for sure knew what he was talking about, and did talk about the benefits of the SSM drives, but he also didn't seem to think this was a good setup for a guy that wants to run down the lake with him family. That's the difference in opinions that I'm learning here.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Trust me, short of 6's you want those 5's on the boat over Bravo's. It might take an adjustment period but once you get used to them you will love them. I would be careful of dropping them down with spacers as you will scrub significant speed. You might get some of it back by cutting down the skegs but then you are into a big mess IMO.

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 07-28-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

" The IV is the same as a V, but a smaller propshaft. "

The above statement from Mild Thunder is not correct. The #4 drive has a spiral cut, polygon shaft, upper gear. All the internal components in a #5 are different from a #4. The upper gear set (in most) of the #5's, is a near net forged, straight cut splined gear. The propshafts in #5's are 1.75" in diameter as some of the "big shaft" #4's were. The bearings are different as well as the 2 vertical shafts. None of the components from a #4 will interchange into a #5 and vice-versa. The only thing that the #4 and the #5 share is that they are the same dimension from the input shaft to the propshaft. I'm supplying internal components for both the #4 and the #5 drives. Don't get me wrong, the #4 drive is a great drive, but it is not a #5. The #5, in my opinion, is a far superior drive to the #4 and the Bravo isn't even in the game.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RMPRam
" The IV is the same as a V, but a smaller propshaft. "

The above statement from Mild Thunder is not correct. The #4 drive has a spiral cut, polygon shaft, upper gear. All the internal components in a #5 are different from a #4. The upper gear set (in most) of the #5's, is a near net forged, straight cut splined gear. The propshafts in #5's are 1.75" in diameter as some of the "big shaft" #4's were. The bearings are different as well as the 2 vertical shafts. None of the components from a #4 will interchange into a #5 and vice-versa. The only thing that the #4 and the #5 share is that they are the same dimension from the input shaft to the propshaft. I'm supplying internal components for both the #4 and the #5 drives. Don't get me wrong, the #4 drive is a great drive, but it is not a #5. The #5, in my opinion, is a far superior drive to the #4 and the Bravo isn't even in the game.
What I meant more or less is a #4 and #5 are the same dimesions propshaft height wise.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
What I meant more or less is a #4 and #5 are the same dimesions propshaft height wise.
Sorry Mild Thunder, I did not want to be an a-- hole, just set the record straight
Bottom line, if you choose to buy a boat with either #4 or #5 drives, new internal components, gears and shafts are still available. Don't be afraid they both are great drives and as other people have stated you can always use up to 3" of spacers to lower the propshaft. In my experience with a 38 Cigarette w/#5's, 5bbl. props worked much better in getting the boat on plane than 4bbl. props did. If I can be of any help, in any way, with your decision to go with the #5's dont hesitate to contact me.

Gary Kollofski
612-247-7081
Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RMPRam
Sorry Mild Thunder, I did not want to be an a-- hole, just set the record straight
Bottom line, if you choose to buy a boat with either #4 or #5 drives, new internal components, gears and shafts are still available. Don't be afraid they both are great drives and as other people have stated you can always use up to 3" of spacers to lower the propshaft. In my experience with a 38 Cigarette w/#5's, 5bbl. props worked much better in getting the boat on plane than 4bbl. props did. If I can be of any help, in any way, with your decision to go with the #5's dont hesitate to contact me.

Gary Kollofski
612-247-7081
No worries Gary! If anyone knows these SSM drives its YOU!!

Since we are on the subject, what can be done to beef up a #4 drive? Gears? Install bigger propshaft? Etc.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have new straight cut, near net forged, polygoned upper gears for the #4. The gear is the same as the #5, only the "shank" that the polygon shaft fits into is sized for the #4 polygon shaft and the bearings for a #4. It is a definite upgrade from the stock #4 upper gear. I only have them in a 1.31:1 ratio though. Combined with a 1.125:1 lower gear set, the overall drive ratio will be 1.48:1. I can supply new "big shaft" 1.75" dia. propshafts for the #4 drive also. I would not recommend changing any of your internal pieces for these, unless it is time for a complete rebuild of your drives.
Let me know.

Gary

Last edited by RMPRam; 07-28-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
According to Rik, that is the ballpark figure when switching from Bravos.
I think I just started saving my money for Arnesons!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.