Notices

Speedmaster 5s

Old 08-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

gary is 100% right, but i was just keeping it simple and trying not to confuse you haha
Old 08-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Apples and oranges, the #5 will be way more reliable than any drive that shifts in the drive.
Exactly. How many threads to you read about guys blowing their #V's? I'm sure there are failures and stuff that finally wears out, but they aren't grenades with the pin pulled like the Bravo derivatives.

The downside is the extra power required to turn all the heavy wet-sump gears and tranny and the extra weight.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm still shopping, but have learned a bunch about the Bravo alternatives, thanks for your help!

From what I understand, I can run #6 props on that V drive? I'm guessing it would see mid 80s on that non-stepped 38' with 600sc motors driving them? I read somewhere these drives have 3 x-dim settings that you can adjust to without spacers, is that true?

This boat is a decent value with the power, I'm not excited about the fuel usage with those motors, but it might be a wash if I can get the boat cheap enough and don't have to fix a bunch of crap every year...
Old 08-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Registered

From what I understand, I can run #6 props on that V drive? I'm guessing it would see mid 80s on that non-stepped 38' with 600sc motors driving them? I read somewhere these drives have 3 x-dim settings that you can adjust to without spacers, is that true?

This boat is a decent value with the power, I'm not excited about the fuel usage with those motors, but it might be a wash if I can get the boat cheap enough and don't have to fix a bunch of crap every year...[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can use #6 props, but you have to change the bore spacer to fit 1-3/4" shaft instead of the 1-7/8" (I think) #6 shaft. I made some on my lathe, but you can buy them pretty easy.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bingo_MI
Well I'm still shopping, but have learned a bunch about the Bravo alternatives, thanks for your help!

This boat is a decent value with the power, I'm not excited about the fuel usage with those motors, but it might be a wash if I can get the boat cheap enough and don't have to fix a bunch of crap every year...
Didn't see the other question. What you are talking about, with 3 x-dim settings is only if you have extension boxes. Otherwise, you have a standard SSM transom/gimbal assembly.

Utilizing extension boxes and spacers, you have the ability to go from 3" down below a standard V (18.something" x-dim) to 2" above standard setting on the same transom holes. Without the extension boxes, you are limited to 0 to 3" down.